KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Please Help: "Knowbrainer Professional is already running"
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/26/2020 04:24 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Please Help: "Knowbrainer Professional is already running"   - rhimmon1 - 03/26/2020 04:24 PM  
 Please Help: "Knowbrainer Professional is already running"   - Lunis Orcutt - 03/26/2020 05:42 PM  
 Please Help:   - IceRafter - 04/07/2020 03:07 PM  
 Please Help:   - rhimmon1 - 06/23/2020 02:31 PM  
 ShipPlease Help: "Knowbrainer Professional is already running"   - Lunis Orcutt - 06/23/2020 10:20 PM  
 Please Help:   - rhimmon1 - 06/24/2020 01:19 PM  
Keyword
 03/26/2020 04:24 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
rhimmon1

Greetings! 

After clicking End Task in my task manager to close KnowBrainer and Dragon forcefully (after freezing), they disappear in my task manager. KnowBrainer actually disappears from my apps in task manager and my background processes in task manager. HOWEVER, when I click my KnowBrainer icon in my taskbar to reopen the program, an error message pops up:

"Knowbrainer Professional Is Already Running"

After multiple attempts to reopen KnowBrainer, I have no choice but to restart my computer. Everything works again after reboot. 

How do I stop KnowBrainer from doing this? 

Thank you ahead of time! 

Cheers,

Rhimmon

P.S.  I can reopen Dragon manually from my taskbar after clicking End Task, but I cannot do this with KnowBrainer when this "KnowBrainer Professional is already running" problem occurs.

03/26/2020 05:42 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Welcome to the World's Only Speech Recognition Forum

If you attempt to relaunch KnowBrainer shortly after you have closed it or hit End Task in the Task Manager, you may see this error because it hasn't finished exiting.
If you reopen your Task Manager we bet you will see that KnowBrainer is still running. Try End Tasking KnowBrainer 1st, then End Task Dragonbar and then Dragon (32 bit). You shouldn't have to reboot Windows.

-------------------------

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

04/07/2020 03:07 PM

Author Icon
IceRafter

Often when I have this problem I find Knowbrainer executable not in the running Apps list, but down in Background Processes. Just type 'K' to search and quickly find -- you likely do not have another process beginning with K.

As Lunis says, just kill it, you shouldn't have to reboot Windows..

Ice Rafter
 06/23/2020 02:31 PM

Author Icon
rhimmon1

Thank you, both! I have been spending the past couple months trying these strategies out and seeing if I can get them to work. Unfortunately, I'm still having the same issue. More details that might help with problem-solving:

Usually, the problem occurs when Dragon crashes and KnowBrainer stays open. When this happens, I open Task Manager and this is what I see:

""
Apps:
ProcHandler
Dragon
""
Background Processes:
Dragon NaturallySpeaking logg...
Dragon NaturallySpeaking servi...
Dragon NaturallySpeaking UI A...
Open user profile
""

At this point, I End Task all of those processes.
Once this is done, I click the KnowBrainer icon in my Windows taskbar.
When I do this, I receive the pop-up box stating "KnowBrainer Professional is already running"
I then click okay on this pop-up box.
I try this again.
Same thing happens.
This time, instead of clicking okay on the pop-up box, I move over to my task manager and see this:

""
Apps:
KnowBrainer professional 2017 (...
""
(KnowBrainer does not appear in background processes)
""

At this point, I End Task "KnowBrainer professional 2017 (..."
When I do this, the pop-up box that was still on the middle of my screen disappears.
Once this is done, I click the KnowBrainer icon in my Windows taskbar.
Then the pop-up box appears again. I repeat these steps a few times to no avail. The pop-up box keeps reappearing.

Note: Once in a while, "KnowBrainer Professional 2017 (..." will actually appear in my "Background Processes." When this happens, I End Task "KnowBrainer Professional 2017 (..." in my background processes and this solves the problem. The problem I'm currently having is only when it does *not* appear in background processes and I cannot close KnowBrainer.

Any ideas for how to solve this?

For example, is there any way to end KnowBrainer beyond clicking End Task? (When I click "Details" in Task Manager, I find a line that says "KBPro.exe." When I right-click this and click "End Task," it gives me a warning pop up box that says "Do you want to end KBPro.exe? If an open program is associated with this process, it will close and you will lose any unsaved data. If you end a system process, it might result in a system instability. Are you sure you want to continue?" I have not proceeded past this warning box - I'm afraid of what might happen.

Another note: the solution to my problem as of yet has been rebooting the computer - when I do this, I can reopen KnowBrainer.

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you ahead of time!

Sincerely,
Rhimmon
 06/23/2020 10:20 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

We use KnowBrainer 70 hours a week so trust us with the following information:

If Dragon crashes, it disables KnowBrainer but doesn't close it. You must manually close KnowBrainer in this situation, along with Microsoft Excel and Outlook. You can close KnowBrainer by right-clicking on the little KnowBrainer hidden icon and choosing Exit. You must wait 10 seconds before you can relaunch KnowBrainer because it needs a little extra time to unhook himself from the cold dead application (Dragon). You can relaunch Dragon without closing KnowBrainer but you will not be able to use KnowBrainer until you force close and relaunch it. When you open the Taskbar to kill Dragon, this is the perfect opportunity to kill KnowBrainer at the same time because it will be near the top of the Task Manger.

Again, when you receive the message that KnowBrainer Professional is already running it's because you didn't finish closing the previous launch and will not be able to launch again until you close KnowBrainer. We have tested KnowBrainer millions of times and never had any trouble finding the little blue and white KnowBrainer icon in Windows Task Manager; usually between 2 and 6 positions from the top. We haven't seen the KBPro.exe in the Taskbar since Windows 7 but if you run into it, just End Task it and don't worry about the fallout. 

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

06/24/2020 01:19 PM

Author Icon
rhimmon1

Thank you, Lunis! I will implement accordingly.

Appreciatively,
Rhimmon
Statistics
31670 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 4473 on 07/17/2020 at 10:00 AM.
There are currently 445 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 446 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.