KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: KB Type command dings on each invocation in PowerPoint
Topic Summary: In powerpoint, Type <dictation> digns before entering the text
Created On: 07/01/2020 03:11 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 KB Type command dings on each invocation in PowerPoint   - kkkwj - 07/01/2020 03:11 PM  
 KB Type command dings on each invocation in PowerPoint   - R. Wilke - 07/01/2020 03:46 PM  
 KB Type command dings on each invocation in PowerPoint   - Lunis Orcutt - 07/01/2020 04:01 PM  
 KB Type command dings on each invocation in PowerPoint   - kkkwj - 07/01/2020 05:43 PM  
 KB Type command dings on each invocation in PowerPoint   - Lunis Orcutt - 07/02/2020 12:19 PM  
 KB Type command dings on each invocation in PowerPoint   - kkkwj - 07/01/2020 06:10 PM  
 KB Type command dings on each invocation in PowerPoint   - R. Wilke - 07/01/2020 06:44 PM  
Keyword
 07/01/2020 03:11 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
kkkwj
Top-Tier Member

FYI, I was using the KB Type<dictation> command in powerpoint today for the first time. It eventually inserted the correct text each time, but it dinged the bell before doing the insertion. The script must be doing something that Windows or PowerPoint doesn't like, I think.

The problem occurs when trying to insert text into text boxes, table cells, and shapes. I had no text on the clipboard and no text selected when I invoked the Type command. I just created a new text box (or other shape) and when it expected text, I spoke the Type command.

I had a look at the VB script, but did not have a good idea of where the bell might be occurring. So, I didn't know what to try. I saw lots of clipboard actions, but didn't know if they were the issue. I wonder if you could try to reproduce the error and provide some hints or code to fix it? 

On the positive side, I am always impressed by the speed of the appearance of the edit dialog when I say "Edit Global Command <dictation>." The response time is almost instant, and it always makes me smile. It's a great programming job.

-------------------------

Win10/x64, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 64GB RAM, Dragon 15.3, KB 2017, SpeechStart, Dragon Capture, Samson Meteor USB Desk Mic, Klim and JUKSTG earbuds with microphones, Office 365

07/01/2020 03:46 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Kevin, do you really think that, when entering text to a non-supported application, having to start every utterance by saying "Type" first is really worth your time? Or, alternatively, having to say "Show Dictation box", or something equivalent, followed by "Transfer", followed again by something equivalent to this, is even better?

If you don't think that it is worth your time, or if you find the whole concept kind of getting old after a while, run a free trial copy of DragonCapture (latest beta), which, in its default settings, will already make all the difference by covering that part for you with no further action involved.

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture (30 Day Trial)
DragonCapture Manual

07/01/2020 04:01 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

The KnowBrainer Type <dictation> command is a little slow because it has to perform several functions which include checking for an extra space, checking for punctuation and checking for capitalization before making the correction and moving the cursor to the end of the current paragraph. If you want a much fasterapproach and your correction is already in lowercase, check out the new Print <dictation> command which is dumb as a rock but very fast; compared to Type <dictation> which is a little slow but very intelligent. Back to your question…

This is 1 of those miserable default Windows error sounds which you can eliminate.

1. Say Start <change system sounds> and wait 8 seconds for it to open; no kidding
2. Highlight Critical Stop
3. Click the pull down arrow under Sounds, change to None followed by clicking OK.

Note that if you find other Windows sounds to be irritating, you can optionally change Windows Sound Scheme from Windows Default (modified) to something useful like No Sounds for everything.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

07/01/2020 05:43 PM

Author Icon
kkkwj
Top-Tier Member

Hi Rudiger and Lunis, thank you for telling me about faster options. Yes, it is hugely and easily worth my time to say Type when I'm filling in 20 or 30 boxes and table cells in PowerPoint! (I read somewhere that was what the Type command was invented - to type into unsupported apps, etc.)

It's excruciatingly slower to move my hand to the mouse, double the desired field, relocate to the keyboard, type the string, and repeat 20 times. Sure, the Type command is kind of slow, but I don't mind at all. It's still way easier than me typing, and it also adds a leading capital. (I should make another version that capitalizes all words, since these kinds of strings are often titles that need Title Case.

Lunis, rather than shutting off the Windows ding, do you have any ideas about which script command causes the ding? Maybe you or I could script around the dinger statement(s)? The ding occurs before the text appears, so that's a start.

Win10/x64, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 64GB RAM, Dragon 15.3, KB 2017, SpeechStart, Dragon Capture, Samson Meteor USB Desk Mic, Klim and JUKSTG earbuds with microphones, Office 365

07/02/2020 12:19 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

You have an Title Text Force Dictation command at your disposal but it currently adds an extra space to the beginning. We shouldn't have written it that way so if you run your KB Command Updater utility, you will eliminate the unwanted space. The command is called Type Title <dictation> and is very fast.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

07/01/2020 06:10 PM

Author Icon
kkkwj
Top-Tier Member

Rudiger, I have almost purchased your Dragon Capture utility at least half a dozen times just because of the work you have put into it and to see what it would do. But I always told myself that I wasn't a Citrix user or a medical person using Epic or other EHR system, and therefore, I would never use it. Silly me. I should have paid attention to my intuition wanting to buy it a long time ago.

I just downloaded it using the link you kindly provided in your response. The installation was flawless. (I had to stop Dragon first, thank you for the clear installer message.) I booted it up and nothing happened when I spoke because I was not in any target application field. I went to PowerPoint, clicked in a Shape, and spoke. Presto! My spoken text appeared almost instantly! Yay! I tried it in various text boxes and shapes and tables, and it all worked flawlessly. I was smiling a LOT at this point. I knew I was going to buy it after the first two or three successful text insertions.

Then I went into Access, which is another place where voice doesn't work. Flawless insertion once again! Yay!

I clicked on your signature link, ended up on the KnowBrainer store, and made the purchase. Thank you Rudiger and Lunis! I should have done this a *long* time ago.

07/01/2020 06:44 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Thank you, Kevin, for giving it a try, and for the very constructive comment.

You might consider DragonCapture (link to the latest beta) to be Dragon's companion, which steps in and takes over, silently, whenever you dictate into a box which is not supported, and steps back, equally silently, otherwise, without any ado.

I would also advise to have a look at the manuals in PDF format under the Help menu on the box; even though they are not entirely updated to the latest beta, but that shouldn't be much of an issue.

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture (30 Day Trial)
DragonCapture Manual

Statistics
31670 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 4473 on 07/17/2020 at 10:00 AM.
There are currently 353 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 355 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.