KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: COM returned an unexpected error code: Details are The Parameter is incorrect.
Topic Summary: Suddenly DNS 9.5 will not open at all and I can't get even version and build information. Error message "ERROR_INVALID_PARAMETER, 87"
Created On: 08/29/2008 03:10 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 COM returned an unexpected error code: Details are The Parameter is incorrect.   - kc4cop - 08/29/2008 03:10 AM  
 COM returned an unexpected error code: Details are The Parameter is incorrect.   - Lunis Orcutt - 08/29/2008 03:53 AM  
 COM returned an unexpected error code: Details are The Parameter is incorrect.   - Dana - 08/29/2008 07:39 AM  
 COM returned an unexpected error code: Details are The Parameter is incorrect.   - R. Wilke - 08/29/2008 09:01 AM  
 COM returned an unexpected error code: Details are The Parameter is incorrect.   - Dana - 08/29/2008 11:34 AM  
 COM returned an unexpected error code: Details are The Parameter is incorrect.   - R. Wilke - 08/29/2008 12:10 PM  
 COM returned an unexpected error code: Details are The Parameter is incorrect.   - Chucker - 08/29/2008 09:20 AM  
 COM returned an unexpected error code: Details are The Parameter is incorrect.   - kc4cop - 08/30/2008 12:44 AM  
 COM returned an unexpected error code: Details are The Parameter is incorrect.   - Lunis Orcutt - 08/30/2008 01:01 AM  
 COM returned an unexpected error code: Details are The Parameter is incorrect.   - kc4cop - 08/30/2008 05:52 PM  
 COM returned an unexpected error code: Details are The Parameter is incorrect.   - Chucker - 08/30/2008 06:04 PM  
 COM returned an unexpected error code: Details are The Parameter is incorrect.   - kc4cop - 08/29/2008 11:25 PM  
 COM returned an unexpected error code: Details are The Parameter is incorrect.   - Lunis Orcutt - 08/30/2008 12:25 AM  
 COM returned an unexpected error code: Details are The Parameter is incorrect.   - kc4cop - 08/30/2008 01:37 AM  
 COM returned an unexpected error code: Details are The Parameter is incorrect.   - Lunis Orcutt - 08/30/2008 02:27 AM  
Keyword
 08/29/2008 03:10 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
kc4cop
Top-Tier Member

I used DNS 9.5, Preferred once today and when I closed the program I got a message that said (as best as I can remember) something like "unable to save user files do you want to close any way? I answered "yes" and the program closed with out further comment or message. Later when I tried to open DNS I got an error message that reads:

"COM returned an unexpected error code: Details are The Parameter is incorrect.

ERROR_INVALID_PARAMETER, 87"

and Dragon will open no further. Other than visit three websites that I have visited before I installed a new program titled "East Technologies Eraser 2008" and entered the newly purchased license key. I did not run the program.

I have restarted my computer twice with hopes that a fresh boot might clear up my problem. The fresh boot made no difference. During this past winter my copy of Dragon was unusable. I could not reinstall the program or completely uninstall it. A reinstallation of Windows XP Pro was the only way that I could get DNS reinstalled. I was unable to use DNS for 3 plus months while trying everything I knew to solve my problem. I gave up on Nuance technical support because when I tried their suggestion nothing helped.

Before I try to uninstall and reinstall Dragon and potentially get into having to reinstall Windows I thought that I should ask someone. I would like to avoid spending money with technical support especially because I had to still reformat my hard drive and reinstall Windows. If contacting them again is my only option I will do so - but I wanted to check if that is the correct path to follow first.

I would appreciate the opinion of those more experienced with the various issues that I mentioned above before I jump into a mess all over again.

-------------------------

Dell Inspiron 3847 64-bit; CPU i7-4790, 3.6 Ghz, 16 GB; Win 7 Pro; Dragon 14 DPI; KnowBrainer 17; Speechware 3-in-1; IE 11

08/29/2008 03:53 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

The COM error almost always means that your user files are corrupted and you will need to switch to a backup user. You'll find several step-by-steps on this process in our Quick Tips when you look up "Switching to Backup User Files".

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

08/29/2008 07:39 AM

Author Icon
Dana
Top-Tier Member

Lunis:

kc4cop said he couldn't start DNS.  ("...and Dragon will open no further."  Can he open a back-up User if he can't start DNS? What about a Repair of DNS?

Try going to Control Panel/Add/Remove Programs and click the DNS program.  When the menu comes up, choose "Repair."  See if that helps "fix" the program so you can open it and then install your back up user as per KnowBrainer's tips.

If that doesn't work, you will have to use the DNS 9.5 Remover tool so you can then re-install.  Lunis should be able to give you a link to it (or search the forum for it).  This might be it:   Remover

Dana

Dana Joan - Vero Beach, FL  -  DMPE, Version 2.2; Oncology Large Vocabulary; Windows 7.1 (on local computer); Sennheiser MD 431 II mic with the Andrea USB pod; work on a Remote Desktop.

08/29/2008 09:01 AM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Quote:
you will have to use the DNS 9.5 Remover tool

Yes, Dana, may be true, but VERY IMPORTANT to mention you have to uninstall DNS via Control Panel, Software first, in order not to loose an activation, which otherwise will happen if you don't.

Happened to me once, following such a hint I've read here.

Rüdiger Wilke

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture (30 Day Trial)
DragonCapture Manual

08/29/2008 11:34 AM

Author Icon
Dana
Top-Tier Member

Quote:
"...I could not reinstall the program or completely uninstall it. "

R. Wilke:

I agree with you BUT - it doesn't sound like he CAN uninstall the program.  The quote above came from his original message.

Dana

Dana Joan - Vero Beach, FL  -  DMPE, Version 2.2; Oncology Large Vocabulary; Windows 7.1 (on local computer); Sennheiser MD 431 II mic with the Andrea USB pod; work on a Remote Desktop.

08/29/2008 12:10 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Dana,

thanks for the info, didn't read it to tell the truth.

But nevertheless, it should definitely be expressed that using dnsremover with incomplete uninstall will result in loosing one activation, any time.

When I used dnsremover a couple of times, during doing tests with installing 9.5, going back to 9.1 for reasons of problems with the formatting of numbers and reinstalling 9.5 again in the end, I wasn't aware of it till I read someone's post who had lost all of his, or at least his final activation or something to that extent.

So I think the tool might be improved even a bit if there was an info screen on starting it, telling you what to do.

Rüdiger Wilke

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture (30 Day Trial)
DragonCapture Manual

08/29/2008 09:20 AM

Author Icon
Chucker
Top-Tier Member

Quote:
I used DNS 9.5, Preferred once today and when I closed the program I got a message that said (as best as I can remember) something like "unable to save user files do you want to close any way? I answered "yes" and the program closed with out further comment or message. Later when I tried to open DNS I got an error message that reads:

"COM returned an unexpected error code: Details are The Parameter is incorrect.
ERROR_INVALID_PARAMETER, 87"

and Dragon will open no further. Other than visit three websites that I have visited before I installed a new program titled "East Technologies Eraser 2008" and entered the newly purchased license key. I did not run the program.

I have restarted my computer twice with hopes that a fresh boot might clear up my problem. The fresh boot made no difference. During this past winter my copy of Dragon was unusable. I could not reinstall the program or completely uninstall it. A reinstallation of Windows XP Pro was the only way that I could get DNS reinstalled. I was unable to use DNS for 3 plus months while trying everything I knew to solve my problem. I gave up on Nuance technical support because when I tried their suggestion nothing helped.

Before I try to uninstall and reinstall Dragon and potentially get into having to reinstall Windows I thought that I should ask someone. I would like to avoid spending money with technical support especially because I had to still reformat my hard drive and reinstall Windows. If contacting them again is my only option I will do so - but I wanted to check if that is the correct path to follow first.

I would appreciate the opinion of those more experienced with the various issues that I mentioned above before I jump into a mess all over again.

kc4cop,

This is a new one that I have never seen before. While KnowBrainer has applied a general analysis that may apply in many cases, it may not apply here specifically. Not having seen this error before reported by any users, I would be initially skeptical about any advice being given. You're on the edge of the waterfall about ready to go over. Moving in the wrong direction may only exacerbate the problem. Therefore, I would hold off on doing anything until you upload your Dragon log(s) and let me analyze it/them. All COM errors are usually preceded by precipitating events and followed by subsequent events that provide those who understand the Dragon log more detail. In addition, the Dragon log provides information about your system configuration relative to Dragon that can be important and even critical in terms of understanding the overall picture.

You can try a repair as Dana suggests. However, I doubt seriously that this will fix the problem. And, if it is a problem with your user files, running a repair definitely won't fix it. Nevertheless, I would try this first and report back on the results. My guess is that it will not work, but not necessarily because your user profile is corrupted.

In order to be able to review your Dragon log there are a few simple instructions that you need to follow before uploading this file.

1. You cannot simply upload the Dragon log file as Dragon.log. If you do that, it will not be readable. The Dragon log is a simple ANSI/ASCII text file. But the extension ".log" is not a valid extension for viewing files on this forum. Uploading it as Dragon.log will result in anybody attempting to access it getting a 404 error.

2. To upload your Dragon log(s) you need to do the following. Click on the Start button, All Programs, and select (highlight) Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9.5. When you highlight that entry in the All Programs listing, you will see an option for "Show Dragon Log." click on Show Dragon Log. This will open the folder where your Dragon log(s) are stored. You may see more than one Dragon log. The active Dragon log will be listed as Dragon.log. If you have a backup Dragon log, it will be listed as Dragon.bak.log. Double-click on Dragon.log. This will open it in Notepad. Save the file as Dragon.text and save it to a location where you can easily find it and remember where you saved it. Once you have done this, and if you have a backup Dragon log, double-click on the file Dragon.bak.log and save it as Dragon_backup.text. Once you have done this, upload these two files in response to this post.

I will take a look at these and provide you with a better understanding of what's going on and how to resolve it. While there is no absolute guarantee that the Dragon log will show everything I need in order to assist you, as long as you are Dragon log(s) are those that were created while you were having this particular problem, or if you're continuing to have the problem, they will show me what I need to know. Subsequent to that, I will give you a set of instructions that should help you resolve the issue.

One last point, when users contact Nuance technical support, or basically the technical support for any application, they are getting the first level support. First level technical support personnel are generally not exceptionally knowledgeable about all the factors necessary to resolve a problem. These folks are basically screen readers. That means that while they're talking to you, they are reviewing any technotes provided specifically to technical support staff by the development folks relative to particular issues that are known. First level technical support staffs are not well paid and not particularly knowledgeable. The only time that you get top-notch technical support is if your problem is escalated to the second or third level support staff. Having developed and trained many technical support programs and staff over the years, and particularly having been the technical support staff trainer for DNS while I was at Lernout & Hauspie, as well as the third level escalation support technician, I have a fairly good understanding of what happens. Regardless, you will generally get your best technical support from forums like this.

Chuck Runquist
Former Dragon NaturallySpeaking SDK & Senior Technical Solutions PM for DNS

"Life's Rule #1: Once you pull the pin, Mr. Grenade is no longer your friend."  (Variant of Murphy's Law  -  Edward A. Murphy, Jr)

VoiceComputer: the only global speech interface.

The views, thoughts and opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect those of VoiceTeach LLC.

Chuck Runquist
VoiceComputer technical support

08/30/2008 12:44 AM

Author Icon
kc4cop
Top-Tier Member

Chucker:

I am attaching 2 log filethat have been converted to TXT files. 

"Dragon.log"know has been converted to "DragonText.txt"

"Dragon.BAK.log" has been converted to "Dragon_backupText.txt"

Please let me know if these files transferred correctly.  If you need anything else I'll be happy to supply it.

I sent you my Main e-mail address a few minutes ago - please feel free to use it.

Dick Zseltvay

amateur radio station KC4COP

Dell Inspiron 3847 64-bit; CPU i7-4790, 3.6 Ghz, 16 GB; Win 7 Pro; Dragon 14 DPI; KnowBrainer 17; Speechware 3-in-1; IE 11

08/30/2008 01:01 AM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

We see 2 possible problems. You might want to disable Quickstart but the big problem is CTFMON.exe. That has got to go. We recommend CTFMON Remover which you can use to toggle off this unwanted utility.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

08/30/2008 05:52 PM

Author Icon
kc4cop
Top-Tier Member

I had a difficult time turning off the "QuickStart" feature because of the difficulty in opening the DNS program. However, it is now off. I also have removed the "CTFMON.exe" using the removal tool as directed. I have removed this file several times in the past, but I know it can get reinstalled.

I continue to have some problems using the DNS program. On occasion I am able to open the program and select user as if nothing was ever wrong. And other times I get a combination of error messages, and I am not able to open any user files. The error message that I get most commonly when I try to open a user file is:

"the user files you have selected cannot be accessed. This could because you do not have sufficient privileges to use them or because they are currently being accessed by another program."

Exiting the DNS program, making sure that no related DNS file is open in Task Manager, and restarting the program does not correct the above problem.

After going through the cycle of opening the program, attempting to open user files, and then closings the program a half a dozen times or more I enabled one of the user backup files. I also fixed the DNS program using the control panel's Add and "Remove Program" application.  The next time that I opened the program and tried to open be backed up user file. I got an error message saying: "an unexpected exception c0000005 (EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION) HAS OCCURRED. Information has been written to Dragon.log. The program will ask in the okay button is pressed."

After receiving the error message one time, I then was able to open the DNS program and the backed up user file. I have written this post using my DNS program. Since I have been able to use the program on occasion but then been denied entrance into the program for several times. I wonder if I really have anything fixed. Is it wise to uninstall and then reinstall the program or would that mean I would just go through another cycle of problems? I would appreciate any comment you might have concerning this.

I am not able to include any log with this post.  Each time that I go to "show Dragon.log" I get an error message saying:

"Naturally speaking version 9.51 has detected a different installation, which is already running. You can not run two versions of naturally speaking simultaneously."

I am not clicking on the wrong entry in the start menu.  I get the "already running" the message, regardless what tab I click on.

Thank you,

Dick Zseltvay (KC4COP)

08/30/2008 06:04 PM

Author Icon
Chucker
Top-Tier Member

Dick,

Did you have a chance to look in my e-mail. There are some major problems with your system configuration. You need to review that e-mail and respond to the questions that I asked.

Your dragon logs indicate some very conflicting information relative to your DNS setup that very likely is the cause of your problems. It is easier for me to work with you via e-mail off-line to fix some of these, but I need the answers to the questions that I asked.

Chuck Runquist
Former Dragon NaturallySpeaking SDK & Senior Technical Solutions PM for DNS

"Life's Rule #1: Once you pull the pin, Mr. Grenade is no longer your friend."  (Variant of Murphy's Law  -  Edward A. Murphy, Jr)

VoiceComputer: the only global speech interface.

The views, thoughts and opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect those of VoiceTeach LLC.

Chuck Runquist
VoiceComputer technical support

08/29/2008 11:25 PM

Author Icon
kc4cop
Top-Tier Member

Please accept my thanks to all of you who read my post and offered suggestions to me.  I read through each of your comments several times before I started doing anything toward making corrections to the DNS program.  I approached the correction process slowly in part because I wanted to see if there had been any indication that the program was about to fail.  I did not notice anything other than the one point that I mentioned in my original post.  That was when I was closing the DNS program and an error message appeared saying that the user files could not be saved.  After I clicked on the box that said "go ahead and close the program even if you're not saving the user files" the program seemed to close without any further mishap.

I purchased Dragon NaturallySpeaking version 9 approximately a year ago.  During the time that I've had it there was a period that lasted three or four months when the DNS program would not work at all.  In addition, there been several short periods, five to seven days, when the program failed to operate correctly.  During a short failure period, DNS would forget a number of standard commands such as "move to end of line", or fail to find the user files, and on several occasions the program would just repeatedly keep shutting down.  No amount of training or retraining would  seem to correct that type of problem once it started.  The solution to the problem in these cases involved me having to delete the user file, create a new user, and go through a new training process for the newly created user.

DNS version 9.5 is now back into operation on my computer.  There are still some problems for me to work through.  As per one of the suggestions made to me last night, I used the repair feature for the Dragon program found under the control panel's "Add and Remove Programs" application.

The DNS program seems very fragile to me.  I've been disappointed on a number of occasions when I was not able to use the program do to this or that because of a file being corrupted or the user files were lost to the program.  I have not investigated version 10 at all and I wonder if it is a little more robust than the version of DNS that I'm using.

If other users of this forum are not having the same problems that I am, I would greatly appreciate you sending me any tips that would improve my experience with the program.

As an aside and in answer to several comments concerning my original post I would like to clarify a point that I made.  During the months that I was unable to use the Dragon program at all I was not able to uninstall the program nor was I able to install the program.  I was aware that the DNS cleanup tool (removal tool) existed and in fact I was using it on a regular basis.  After using the cleanup / removal tool I would try to install the DNS program and I would get an error message saying that an installation was already in progress and that it needed be completed before another installation could be started.  You can see from this error message that a complete uninstall was not being accomplished using either the standard uninstall tools or the special cleanup tool from Nuance.

I was stuck and I stayed that way for months.  I could not completely uninstall the DNS program and without being able to uninstall the program I was not being allowed to make a new installation.  When this first started happening I had hoped that I could install DNS over the installation already present on my computer as I have often been able to do with other programs.  Forget it that doesn't work with DNS.

Once that I have gotten DNS installed on my computer and it seems to be working as it should I have been locked in to the version and build that is installed.  When I have gotten notification that an update for the program is available in that it must be downloaded and installed through the DNS program itself, I have again been frustrated 100% of the time.  The program update does not install and I get an error message saying something along the lines of my program is not registered.  Repeatedly I have written nuance about this and the response that I've gotten it is when you have a statement about your program not being register that means you have the latest update already installed.  I'm very sure that is not what the error message means and I know that I do not have the latest version installed. I do know that my program is registered because I have registered it several times.

What I just described concerning updating programs has occurred a number of times and I have written Nuance no less than three or four times concerning the issue.  I would imagine that I could put my hands on several copies of the communications that I just described. I have always been mild mannered in my contact with Nuance and I have never said anything ugly.  The truth is I am very upset with the company and the way that my copy of the DNS program has worked. I purchased a copy of DNS version 8 several years ago and tried to use it while I was convalescing in a nursing home.  I did not have an Internet connection and so I was unable to contact Nuance when problems occurred - as they often did program.  I so looked forward to the release of version 9 and now that's been a disappointment.  

I have never made a public complaint concerning DNS before. I truly want DNS to work and to work well.  I only have the use of one hand so typing is a real chore.  I do some consulting work with several governmental agencies and companies in the private sector in the field of space weather physics and radio wave propagation forecasting. Technical report writing pretty much fills my day.

All of my work in these areas requires typing and posting materials to a series of websites.  I really think Nuance should give me a copy of DNS version 10 because of the problems that I've had with both version 8 and 9 - neither of which are are fully functional even today and because I have remained loyal to the company.

08/30/2008 12:25 AM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Although you didn't do anything wrong, the next time NaturallySpeaking says that your user files cannot be saved, ignore the message and try again. We found that most of the time, NaturallySpeaking will save your user files on the second try but in the rare event that it doesn't, you may find that it made a partial save that it can't delete in the tb folder. If you run into that problem, all you have to do is delete the tb folder. Post back if you run into that situation and can't find the tb folder.

Ver. 10 coding is significantly cleaner and the program is more stable than Ver. 9.5 but far more often than not, it's the user files that typically become corrupted; not NaturallySpeaking. Our solution was to move our user files to a thumb drive and since doing so, we haven't experienced a corrupted user profile since DNS 7 and we usually dictate 50 to 100 pages per day. Before we made this change, we suffered user file corruption every 9 to 16 weeks. You'll find a step-by-step on this procedure when you look up “thumb” in our Quick Tips.

If you're receiving a message about “another installation is in progress” after running Remover, it is not likely a NaturallySpeaking installation problem. It's probably a Windows related problem and you may find a solution in the previously mentioned Quick Tips when you look up “
msiexec.exe”.

In our experience, complaining or writing to a number of major companies, including Nuance, accomplishes as much as stunning yourself with a taser gun and is about as much fun. However, they do listen to the public as a whole (when they get together in a group) and a number of speech recognition solution providers who contribute regularly to this forum but you probably shouldn't hold your breath waiting for an NFR copy of Ver. 10 . However, the Preferred 10 Upgrade is only $99.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

08/30/2008 01:37 AM

Author Icon
kc4cop
Top-Tier Member

In reference to the question that I received concerning "saving user files", I think that the only response possible was clicking on a single okay box.  That would mean that I had no choice.  I don't remember that I had the option to say  "try saving user files again".  Should this circumstance repeat itself, I will use more care in looking over the dialog box.

Thank you for your comments.  I imagine that you are correct in saying that I should not hold my breath for version 10 to be sent to me from Nuance.  However, those times when I'll was in a similar position dealing with a customer, I sent the new product without waiting for a request from the customer.  I would be the one to say thank you............ it would go something like this "thank you Mr. Smith for your patience and for remaining a loyal customer. I am very sorry that your experience with our product has not been entirely positive.  I have personally mailed you the newest version of the product with a sincere hope that the issues that caused you problems in your current version have been corrected to your satisfaction. Should any issue remain, please call Mr. Jones the Director of quality control toll-free at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.  He is aware of this communication and he assures me that he will handle any inquiry from you himself and that he will keep me advised concerning your experiences with our updated product.

On one occasion that goodwill made its way through several channels and I found that later that action played a role in my company being awarded a nice contract.  A similar exchange happened to me about 2 weeks go.  I was the customer and "Aplus XXXX" the company. The exchange took place during the time that I was writing an article that included APlux XXXX for a technica journal. APlus XXXX  knew nothing about the article at the time and the exchange that I just mentioned was only one area out of many where this company showed concern for its customers. It happens but............

I tryed to use Dragon in writing this little note to you. The darn program is not working correctly.

08/30/2008 02:27 AM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Quote:
In reference to the question that I received concerning "saving user files", I think that the only response possible was clicking on a single okay box.

Your only option is to click OK but you can immediately attempt to exit again and NaturallySpeaking should once again prompt you to save your user files.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

Statistics
31541 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 3936 on 09/08/2015 at 11:44 AM.
There are currently 248 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 251 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.