KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: How to change back to a dll System file called 'Windows Shell Common dll?
Topic Summary: Accidentally assigned a program to open a dll System file called 'Windows Shell Common dll. I need to know how to change it back? Start scrolling
Created On: 07/14/2011 03:20 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 07/14/2011 03:20 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Tiger Feet
Top-Tier Member

This problem all came about by accidentally choosing a program to open a dll System file called 'Windows Shell Common dll.  The file was a backup of a speech profile for Windows Speech Recognition.  The backup can then be used if a WSR speech profile becomes corrupt and not usable anymore.  When this happens, you simply restore this backup speech profile and it becomes workable again. 

First, my original WSR speech profile became corrupt and not usable.  I never had any backups so I had to start a new profile.

Once I made the profile and did all the necessary training, the first thing I did was go into the WSRToolkit/Manage Profiles and then chose 'Backup' to back up this new profile.  This is the first time I've ever done this.  Thinking about this, I should have done it originally.

It asked me for a name for the file. So I called it WSR Speech Profile Backup and it automatically had the extension .WSRProfile.

Then obviously, I had to pick a location for the file so I clicked 'Browse.'  I chose 'My Documents' library.

When I went to 'My Documents', the file was there showing as a white blank file with the name I chose for the file underneath and the extension .WSRprofile.

I assumed I had to open it choosing a program to open it with.  I right clicked it and chose 'Microsoft Word.'  I've since found out I should not have chose any program and just left it white. 

Apparently, these are known as 'dll' files as explained above.  In addition, I have since been told, there is no need to open this type of file anyway as it is only a backup of my original WSR speech profile information as explained before.  This is what I did not realise.

Now it is showing, not as a complete white file (as it should,) but as a white file with a 'Microsoft Word' icon in the centre of it.  I deleted this file and started another new speech profile from scratch.  After the necessary training, I backed it up but it still saved with the 'Microsoft Word' icon in the centre of a white document instead of just a plain white document.

Therefore, my question is, how can I change it back to a plain white file (as it should be) or a System file 'dll' called 'Windows Shell Common dll.' file to give it its proper name?  Googled this and found this link:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6085298_open-windows-shell-common-dll.html

All I have been able to do is change the program to open it.  I changed Microsoft Word to Notepad but this is still wrong, as it should just be plain white!

I have posted this here because it is not a Windows Speech Recognition question really; it is a question on how to change a file to a certain state.  

I am totally lost on how to achieve this so an answer would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

-------------------------

Tiger Feet

| DPI 15.3 | KnowBrainer 2017 | Windows  10 Professional /64 Bit | Intel Core i7 Quad Core 3840QM (2.80GHz) 8MB | 16GB RAM. | 240GB Intel 520 Series SSD Boot Drive | 750GB 7200 rpm Secondary Drive  | Sennheiser D10-USB Wireless. |

07/15/2011 12:11 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

All you have done is associate an application to a specific file extension. It isn't necessary to undo that change because it doesn't change or effect the functionality of the file. Granted, you will see the Microsoft Word icon, as opposed to plain white icon but that will be the only change.

Lunis Orcutt (615) 884-4558 x2
Live Chat
KnowBrainer Videos
What Is KnowBrainer Professional 2017 (PDF)
KnowBrainer 2017 (30 Day Trial)
SpeechStart+ (15 Day Trial)
 07/15/2011 12:54 PM

Author Icon
Tiger Feet
Top-Tier Member

Quote:
All you have done is associate an application to a specific file extension. It isn't necessary to undo that change because it doesn't change or effect the functionality of the file. Granted, you will see the Microsoft Word icon, as opposed to plain white icon but that will be the only change.

Thanks Lunis. 

I believe you are right because I used this file to backup another corrupt WSR speech profile I had and it worked.  That profile is now okay after performing this procedure.

Although I do not need to change it back to a white file or it does not matter if Notepad is planted on the back of it, is there a way at all to change it back to a plain white file?  Or, is it nigh on impossible once you have performed this procedure?

Cheers

Tiger Feet

| DPI 15.3 | KnowBrainer 2017 | Windows  10 Professional /64 Bit | Intel Core i7 Quad Core 3840QM (2.80GHz) 8MB | 16GB RAM. | 240GB Intel 520 Series SSD Boot Drive | 750GB 7200 rpm Secondary Drive  | Sennheiser D10-USB Wireless. |

07/15/2011 11:24 PM

Author Icon
Chucker
Top-Tier Member

Quote:
Although I do not need to change it back to a white file or it does not matter if Notepad is planted on the back of it, is there a way at all to change it back to a plain white file? Or, is it nigh on impossible once you have performed this procedure?

Tiger,

First, once you change the "Open with" for a particular file, you can't go back to the original file icon using that procedure. The reason for that is simply that the "Open with" option is for applications (i.e., executables or exe files). The Windows Common Shell DLL, while it is an executable file, DLL files are executables that are called from an exe file. You can reset them using the normal process.

Second, here's how you reset the icon for this particular file (i.e., .WSRProfile).

1. Right-click on the filename and select "Open with".

2. Click on the Browse button.

3. Go to the Windows\system32.

4. Once you get to the Windows\system32 folder, at the bottom of that dialog on the right side there is a drop-down list which defaults to Programs (exe… ). Drop that list and select:

All Files (*.*).

5. In the Windows/system32 folder search for shell32.dll. Remember that you have to have All Files (*.*) selected as the file option, otherwise you will not find shell32.dll. Once you locate shell32.dll, highlight it and click on the Open button. This will reset the icon to the blank page. Unfortunately, it sets it to a blank white page with a little square in it and not to the original icon which is the blank page with the screw in it (blue). However, this is the correction association for this file because shell32.dll is the Windows Common Shell DLL file. In Windows 7 64-bit there are two locations for this file. However, it doesn't matter which location you choose it from is basically the same file. The above procedure is simpler.

Let me know if this works for you.

Chuck Runquist
Technical Project Manager
VoiceTeach LLC
Home of VoicePower®: Simply powerful, powerfully simple

The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

VoiceComputer: the only global speech interface.

The views, thoughts and opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect those of VoiceTeach LLC.

Chuck Runquist
VoiceComputer technical support

07/16/2011 02:30 AM

Author Icon
Tiger Feet
Top-Tier Member

Chuck,

I tried to follow your instructions and here's what happened:

I right clicked on the file name and selected 'Open with.'

I did not see a 'Browse' button straight away.  Instead, a submenu came up which said 'Microsoft Word', 'Notepad' and 'Choose default program.'  I chose 'Choose default program.'  Once I did this, then I saw the 'Browse' button.

In the list, I could not see Windows\system32 anywhere.  It may be in any one of these folders but there are so many, do you happen to know the right one that I may find the one you mention in?  I did click on the drop down list at the bottom and chose 'All Files.'  I attach a screenshot of the list that was shown.

So from here I am stumped because I cannot go to the Windows\system32 because it is not showing in the list or it is in somewhere where the folders are displayed, even after clicking 'All Files' at the bottom of the window.

Where do I go from here?

Cheers

Tiger Feet

07/16/2011 08:19 AM

Author Icon
Chucker
Top-Tier Member

Tiger,

You're looking in the wrong place. The Windows folders are not under Program Files. You need to go to the root directory of your C drive and select Windows. Then, under the Windows folder you will find the system32 folder. The Windows folder is not under Program Files. Then follow my instructions. I tested this out on three machines before I posted it. When you get to the right folder, works like a charm.

Chuck Runquist
VoiceTeach LLC

For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them. - Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

The views, thoughts and opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect those of VoiceTeach LLC.

Chuck Runquist

07/16/2011 01:04 PM

Author Icon
Tiger Feet
Top-Tier Member

Chuck,

I finally found it and it did exactly what you said it would do.  Thanks very much for your perseverance.  It is indeed now in white with a little white box inside it. 

Nevertheless, I got there in the end ;-)

Cheers

Tiger Feet

07/16/2011 07:02 PM

Author Icon
Chucker
Top-Tier Member

Tiger,

Glad you figured it out. God knows Windows is confusing enough.

Chuck Runquist
VoiceTeach LLC

For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them. Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

Chuck Runquist

07/16/2011 11:01 AM

Author Icon
Tiger Feet
Top-Tier Member

Quote:
3. Go to the Windows\system32.

4. Once you get to the Windows\system32 folder, at the bottom of that dialog on the right side there is a drop-down list which defaults to Programs (exe… ). Drop that list and select: All Files (*.*).

5. In the Windows/system32 folder search for shell32.dll. Remember that you have to have All Files (*.*) selected as the file option, otherwise you will not find shell32.dll. Once you locate shell32.dll, highlight it and click on the Open button. This will reset the icon to the blank page. Unfortunately, it sets it to a blank white page with a little square in it and not to the original icon which is the blank page with the screw in it (blue). However, this is the correction association for this file because shell32.dll is the Windows Common Shell DLL file. In Windows 7 64-bit there are two locations for this file. However, itddoesn t matter which location you choose it from is basically the same file. The above procedure is simpler.

Chuck,

Okay, according to your number 3 above, I went to the Windows\system32

According to your number 4, I could not see anything at the bottom of the dialogue on the right-hand side.  I could not see a drop down list which defaults to programmes.  You mention I must find this to find the shell32.dll.

However, I found the shell32.dll anyway as highlighted in the screenshot below.  I assume this is what you mean?

I highlighted it as you advised but could not see an 'Open' button anywhere to open it.  I right clicked it to bring up the context menu and all that was on that with any significance was; 'Open with...,' 'Copy as path' or 'Restore previous versions.'

Have I done anything wrong here or should I have chose 'Open with?'

Please advise.

Cheers

Tiger Feet

Statistics
31211 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 3936 on 09/08/2015 at 11:44 AM.
There are currently 482 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 483 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2019 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.