Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Dictation benefits   - alexgordonhk - 01/08/2021 04:54 PM  
 Dictation benefits   - dilligence - 01/08/2021 07:48 PM  
Keyword
 01/08/2021 04:54 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
alexgordonhk

I had two thoughts about dictation/speech recognition that don't seem to get much press (but I hope aren't just me).

The first is that dictation is brilliant as a way of taking reading notes - ie extracts and summaries from books, articles and the like.  In addition to all the usual benefits (speed, convenience etc) speaking out loud seems to make what you have read  stick in the mind more than eithter typing or hand-writing.  I believe there is some science behind this too, although I don't have the detail.  A bonus is that your public reading skills improve - should you ever need to do the reading at a wedding or whatever.  

The second is am always a bit surprised that dictating using a recorder isn't everyone's first choice,  at least to start with.  I found dictating "live" was a deeply frustrating experience (not to mention expensive as I tried mic after mic). I almost gave up altogether but I thought I would give it one last try, but using a recorder instead.  It made all the difference.  It removed that "ball's in my court now" pressure to speak and made it much easier to get the good flow that the software needs. (I realise one shouldn't feel the pressure at all - a computer isn't going to mind the long silence or think you are an idiot if you can't think what to say next in the way a human being might - but somehow the pressure is still there).  Likewise, a recorder stopped that irresistable (at least to me) urge to correct every error as it pops up on screen - which, I suspect is what causes many people giving up dictation too soon thinking they weren't getting the speed improvements they had been hoping for.

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » General Topics / Other » Dictation benefits

Statistics
31981 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 450 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 450 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.