Topic Summary: Two thoughts for non-experts like me
Created On: 01/08/2021 04:54 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Keyword
 01/08/2021 04:54 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
alexgordonhk

I had two thoughts about dictation/speech recognition that don't seem to get much press (but I hope aren't just me).

The first is that dictation is brilliant as a way of taking reading notes - ie extracts and summaries from books, articles and the like.  In addition to all the usual benefits (speed, convenience etc) speaking out loud seems to make what you have read  stick in the mind more than eithter typing or hand-writing.  I believe there is some science behind this too, although I don't have the detail.  A bonus is that your public reading skills improve - should you ever need to do the reading at a wedding or whatever.  

The second is am always a bit surprised that dictating using a recorder isn't everyone's first choice,  at least to start with.  I found dictating "live" was a deeply frustrating experience (not to mention expensive as I tried mic after mic). I almost gave up altogether but I thought I would give it one last try, but using a recorder instead.  It made all the difference.  It removed that "ball's in my court now" pressure to speak and made it much easier to get the good flow that the software needs. (I realise one shouldn't feel the pressure at all - a computer isn't going to mind the long silence or think you are an idiot if you can't think what to say next in the way a human being might - but somehow the pressure is still there).  Likewise, a recorder stopped that irresistable (at least to me) urge to correct every error as it pops up on screen - which, I suspect is what causes many people giving up dictation too soon thinking they weren't getting the speed improvements they had been hoping for.

01/08/2021 07:48 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

alexgordonhk,

You are making some very interesting points! 

Dictating and seeing your text appear on the screen makes it psychologically almost impossible to not want to immediately correct your mistakes.

I have relatively little experience in transcribing recordings but your contribution here puts that in another perspective. I definitely see your point that while talking into a recording device one's dictation will feel (and sound) much more natural, hence giving better Dragon accuracy. This can be particularly interesting with longer dictations.

I would actually like to take it one step further. Depending on one's physical limitations and the purpose of the dictation, it's sometimes easier to not use Dragon but simply sent your recorded voice (wav, mp3 file) to the recipient. Particularly when there's a lot of talking involved! The big benefit is that it's more personal and maybe more interesting as well.

That reminds me of an interesting Voice Email program that I no longer use because for some reason it didn't work anymore with recent Windows 10 editions. The program is named Vemail from NCH software.

Whether or not this approach is feasible depends on your physical limitations. If you are able to keep a button pressed for about 10 or 20 seconds, you can very rapidly send a "Voice Email". The sending occurs as soon as you release the button (push to talk). In my case (RSI) that was better then dictating and editing my dictation (you can say a lot in 20 seconds!).

Of course nowadays those kind of file attachments are usually blocked by email clients.

Recently I'm taking a similar approach if customers come up with multiple questions. I can of course take screenshots, do a lot of dictating and editing and spend at least half an hour (but usually more) on customer service. Instead, I can turn on my screen recorder (I recommend Bandicam) and explain things in real time. Not only does this work better, it usually takes half the time (and gives a more personal touch as well). 

Of course there's the extra step of sending the file (or putting it on YouTube). I should automate that more.

-------------------------

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » General Topics / Other » Dictation benefits

Statistics
31981 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 444 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 444 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.