Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Keyword
 03/03/2020 05:53 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Steve Morris
Top-Tier Member

Hi, 

Is anyone using DPG 15.5. We are testing it before releasing it to our network. We have found that certain programs on the desktop and in the start menu won't open by command. They did with DPG15.3. 

It is difficult to give you examples that don't breach our cyber security policies. But it seems to be only some shortcuts that don't work correctly.

A good example is PG's pgEmulate script. I have a shortcut to that on the Desktop. With DPG15.3 I could say "open speech emulator" and ta da, there it would be. Now with DPG15.5, when I say "open speech emulator" I get a "Windows Script Host Settings" box (see attached image).

But if we double click it from the Desktop, it opens no problem. This is on three different PCs running Windows 10, all of which were running DPG15.3 without issue. 

I am raising this with Nuance, but thought I would check in with you good people first.  

-------------------------

Steve 

03/03/2020 07:33 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

If you're using KnowBrainer 2017, the <Fetch> <WinGet> <dictation> command can be used to open any application, folder, file, settings, song, video or photo anywhere on your computer. Example: If you wish to launch Visual Studio say <Show/Open/Start/Launch/Find/Play/Go To> <App> <Visual Studio>. If we want to open our Zane Bennett spreadsheet at D:\KnowBrainer\Billing\Paid\Zane Bennett 5-6-2003.xls, from 2003, we just say <Open> <File> <Zane Bennett>.

If you're not using KnowBrainer, you can always use the following Dragon Advanced-Scripting approach to open those “misbehaving” applications. Waiting for Nuance to fix anything is equivalent to waiting for Congress to agree on something. Example: If Dragon refuses to open CamtasiaStudio for you, you can create the following Advanced-Scripting command:

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

03/03/2020 10:24 PM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

Make sure the checkbox about launched from the desktop (red box) is checked:

03/03/2020 11:49 PM

Author Icon
Steve Morris
Top-Tier Member

Thanks Alan. Yes that is ticked. Thanks also Lunis. I do know how to create those commands. I have nonetheless raised it with Nuance via a ticket.

Steve 

03/05/2020 09:19 AM

Author Icon
PG LTU
Top-Tier Member

Happens to me all the time, using DPG 15.5 and I don't like it either.

Here is what happens across the board. Using Windows Desktop Shortcuts (i.e., *.lnk files) *for files* (i.e., files with an extension that associates them with an executable) does not open the file, but rather, opens the underlying executable as if the file name was not passed along as the command line parameter. Real crap.

Another example you can all test, put a shortcut to a Word doc, or a text file on your desktop and Dragon opens Word or Notepad, but not the doc or text file. So that is happening to OP too, namely, the underlying executable for .vbs scripts opens, but without running the (I must say, terrific and useful) script. It is a bug, and a bad one. Nuance should fix.

My workaround is, guess? See below, after Edgar.

PG

Remember folks, my comments and this forum are for entertainment value only, please, no wagering or other reliance on the contents herein.  I permit no commercial use of my ideas (whether expressions or embodiments) without my written consent.

03/05/2020 10:58 AM

Author Icon
Edgar
Top-Tier Member

My workaround (DPI 15.3) is to have a global KnowBrainer (could probably use Dragon) script called:
<launch> <AppList>

where the list "launch" consists of "open", "start" "launch" etc. and "AppList" contains an ever-expanding list of things I might want to start with Dragon. Here is just a short part of the code:

If ListVar2 = "Command Browser" Then EmulateRecognition "open command browser"

If ListVar2 = "Access" Or ListVar2 = "Microsoft Access" Then ShellExecute "MSACCESS"

If ListVar2 = "AutoIT" Then ShellExecute "SciTE"

If ListVar2 = "Calculator" Then ShellExecute "Calc"

If ListVar2 = "Clock" Then

AppBringUp "clock", "D:\Clock\bin\Release\Clock.exe"

Exit All

End If

If ListVar2 = "Computer" Or ListVar2 = "Drives" Then

SendKeys "{WindowsHold}e", 1

Exit All

End If

This command started out as one of the default KnowBrainer commands which I have modified to suit myself.

-Edgar
DPI 15.3, 64-bit Windows 10 Pro, OpenOffice & Office 365, Norton Security, Shure X2U XLR to USB mic adapter with Audio Technica DB135 vocal mic, Asus X299-Deluxe Prime, Intel Core i9-7940X (14 core, 4.3 GHz overclocked to 4.9 GHz), G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3333 (PC4 26600) F4-3333C16Q-64GTZ, NVIDIA GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 GV-N1060G1 GAMING-6GD REV 2.0 6GB graphics card with 3 1920x1080 monitors

03/05/2020 11:29 AM

Author Icon
PG LTU
Top-Tier Member

Yes, but document files? When you want a quick access to something you are working on in the application, no mater where it is, you can send a shortcut to it onto the desktop and Dragon just knows it's there to open by voice (or double click). But it's not a lotta help if just the underlying app opens up and ya gotta find the file you were working on to open. Thanks that many programs keep a "recent files" list, but still.

For OP, just say "show desktop" followed by "click [shortcut name]" and then "press enter." Or you don't need the "click" part maybe.

PG

Remember folks, my comments and this forum are for entertainment value only, please, no wagering or other reliance on the contents herein.  I permit no commercial use of my ideas (whether expressions or embodiments) without my written consent.

03/05/2020 01:39 PM

Author Icon
Edgar
Top-Tier Member

PG is right when it comes to starting associated files with their respective applications. Both KnowBrainer and Dragon scripting has problems with this if there are any spaces in the paths/names. As a workaround I use an AutoIT executable called from my "launch" script. However, I am running Windows 10 with DPI 15.3 and have no trouble with a link to an (Word or other application) associated document on my Desktop. I just tested this with a Word document link called "Artists" on my desktop saying "start artists" (which is NOT part of my aforementioned "launch" script). As another test, I created a folder on my desktop and within it I put a link to a PNG file (Triangle.png) as well as a couple of other things. With said new folder open in Windows Explorer I tried "start triangle" - it failed; however, when I just said the word "triangle" the link was selected and as PG says all I then had to do was say "press enter". One thing that will confuse Windows Explorer is that if the dictation that Dragon recognizes is distinctly different from any icon in the folder - if the folder contains icons for "able" and "dog" and you say "Charlie" the selected icon will probably be inappropriate. However, if you say "drag" it will generally pick "dog" because it starts with the same first letter (if there are multiple icons which start with the letter 'd' it will probably pick one of them).

-Edgar
DPI 15.3, 64-bit Windows 10 Pro, OpenOffice & Office 365, Norton Security, Shure X2U XLR to USB mic adapter with Audio Technica DB135 vocal mic, Asus X299-Deluxe Prime, Intel Core i9-7940X (14 core, 4.3 GHz overclocked to 4.9 GHz), G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3333 (PC4 26600) F4-3333C16Q-64GTZ, NVIDIA GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 GV-N1060G1 GAMING-6GD REV 2.0 6GB graphics card with 3 1920x1080 monitors

03/05/2020 02:13 PM

Author Icon
Edgar
Top-Tier Member

As a further test, I created a link (E:\aaa\asc.lnk) to a text file (E:\aaa\a.txt) and shoehorned this command into my "launch" script:

AppBringUp "sc", "E:\aaa\asc.lnk"

I put it in to the aforementioned "launch clock" section:

If ListVar2 = "Clock" Then

AppBringUp "clock", "D:\Clock\bin\Release\Clock.exe"

AppBringUp "sc", "E:\aaa\asc.lnk"

Exit All

End If

This work just fine running my "Clock" then opening Notepad with the appropriate real text file. However, this:

AppBringUp "PSPad", "D:\pspad501\PSPad.exe E:\aaa\a.txt"

fails because there is "something" after ".exe". This is where I need to resort to AutoIT3.

Further, changing the name of the link to include a space ("a sc.lnk") and changing the statement to:

AppBringUp "sc", "E:\aaa\a sc.lnk"

works just fine.

-Edgar

03/08/2020 07:20 PM

Author Icon
Steve Morris
Top-Tier Member

It seems to be desktop items whose target has arguments. For example, the target below not work with Dragon OPEN or LAUNCH command but does work with a double click. For security reasons I have left out the URL. This the target.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --disable-popup-blocking --touch-events=disabled --app=http://

I am responding to Nuance's questions in their support system. I totally understand how to work around the issue. But I have hundreds of users and I simply will not upgrade them to DPG15.5 unless there is a resolution.

Steve 

03/10/2020 03:53 AM

Author Icon
kkkwj
Top-Tier Member

Hi Edgar, I would have expected the exe and its arg to be quoted separately.

Instead of

AppBringUp "PSPad", "D:\pspad501\PSPad.exe E:\aaa\a.txt"

maybe this

AppBringUp "PSPad", "\"D:\pspad501\PSPad.exe\" \"E:\aaa\a.txt\""

or something like that. I don't know if AppBringUp is smart enough to parse the nested quotes separately.

Win10/x64, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 64GB RAM, Dragon 15.3, SP 6 PRO, SpeechStart, Office 365, KB 2017, Dragon Capture, Samson Meteor USB Desk Mic, Klim and JUKSTG earbuds with microphones, 3 BenQ 2560x1440 monitors, Microsoft Sculpt Keyboard and fat mouse

03/10/2020 11:33 AM

Author Icon
Edgar
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: kkkwjI don't know if AppBringUp is smart enough to parse the nested quotes separately.

AppBringUp is NOT smart enough to parse the argument separately.

-Edgar

03/12/2020 05:23 PM

Author Icon
Steve Morris
Top-Tier Member

Nuance have logged this issue as a defect.

Steve 

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » Dragon Speech Recognition » DPG 15.5 opening desktop items

Statistics
31981 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 459 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 459 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.