KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: AfterShokz OpenComm review?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/02/2020 03:50 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 AfterShokz OpenComm review?   - sam09138 - 11/02/2020 03:50 AM  
 AfterShokz OpenComm review?   - Lunis Orcutt - 11/02/2020 12:50 PM  
 AfterShokz OpenComm review?   - sam09138 - 11/14/2020 01:20 AM  
 AfterShokz OpenComm review?   - Lunis Orcutt - 11/14/2020 07:15 PM  
 AfterShokz OpenComm review?   - dilligence - 11/14/2020 11:35 PM  
 AfterShokz OpenComm review?   - Lunis Orcutt - 11/15/2020 02:57 PM  
 AfterShokz OpenComm review?   - Boffinboy - 01/15/2021 01:36 AM  
 AfterShokz OpenComm review?   - Lunis Orcutt - 01/15/2021 12:17 PM  
 AfterShokz OpenComm review?   - Boffinboy - 01/25/2021 02:41 PM  
Keyword
 11/02/2020 03:50 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
sam09138

Has anyone tried out the AfterShokz OpenComm  headset for voice recognition? 

All the reviews on Amazon and YouTube are highly favorable as they come with an open ear design and a highly effective noise canceling microphone. However, all the reviews are focused on the ability to do calls and I haven't seen anything on voice recognition yet.

I have been searching for a solution like this for a while. Essentially something I can put on my head and forget about it for the rest of the day. I need to not only make calls during half my day but also heavily depends on text to speech and technology voice recognition technologies.

Generally I find that having my ears open when using voice recognition is very helpful since I'm able to speak softer and it results in a higher accuracy rate.

Sharing some review links here. (apologies if there against the rules, I will remove them in that case.)

https://www.amazon.com/AfterShokz-Conduction-Noise-Canceling-Microphone-Commercial/dp/B08DW2SJCQ/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtPXRYfB1bM

11/02/2020 12:50 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

As you pointed out, this microphone was not specifically created for speech recognition. We believe it will work but the microphone element is not positioned as close to your mouth as we would prefer. However, Dragon's auto-gain feature should help with that. This microphone will probably need to be worn over an extended period of time and might not be as comfortable as you think. We are not excited by the plastic hoops that go around your ears and may chafe. Of course, if the microphone is light enough, chasing or discomfort may not be a problem. We prefer the Philips SpeechOne which is heavier but should be more comfortable because the speaker can be pushed away from your ear with 2 tiny memory foam pads. This microphone is a bit expensive but also the most accurate recognition wireless headset we have used. It also utilizes radio frequencies which are supposed to be cleaner than Bluetooth but we have yet to prove this manufacturer claim.

-------------------------

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

11/14/2020 01:20 AM

Author Icon
sam09138

So I decided to take the plunge, and bought the Aftershokz Opencomm headset. It has been just 2 days, but sharing my thoughts on my experience so far.

- it is by far the most comfortable headset I have ever used. The headset is light, wireless, does not cover the ears, battery last long, the microphone is very good at noise canceling at least for calls ( need more time to test it out in more situations with regards to voice recognition).

-I do not need to take the headset off even when I'm eating or drinking. The headphone quality is better than expected, in fact very good for call centric headset.

In fact, the headset is so comfortable that I prefer leaving it on my ears rather than have to take it down and wear it again for any reason.

Specifically with regards to voice recognition, it performs quite good in quiet environment. It works quite decent in noisy Café as well. It is not as good as my Audio Technica Pro 8HEmW microphone but performs quite okay for most part.

If anything above changes in the coming weeks, I will post an updated review as well.
 11/14/2020 07:15 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

EXCELLENT! Now you have piqued our interest. We have contacted AfterShokz for a test unit and will add them to our website if they work out. We will also post our test results

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

11/14/2020 11:35 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

Although a bit pricey, I am interested in this headset too. Sadly it does not seem to be available here in the Netherlands yet and buying it from the States usually means an additional $60 shipping.

If anybody knows about a German or UK seller let me know. 

www.speechproductivity.eu 

Auto Box - SP Editor - HyperNotes - Hotkeys for Dragon - Quick Correct - Press Utility - Easy Guide to Dragon Scripting

11/15/2020 02:57 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: dilligenceSadly it does not seem to be available here in the Netherlands yet and buying it from the States usually means an additional $60 shipping.

Most, but not all, of our FedEx overseas shipping is typically $35 but that is still $20 too much. We worked out a 66% off deal with FedEx

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

01/15/2021 01:36 AM

Author Icon
Boffinboy

I wanted to see whether any of you had further comments now with more experience? Do they work well enough for dictation? I am considering these vs the Plantronics 5200 as I would like a wireless, comfortable and lightweight headset that's decent for dictation. I find on ear headphones very hot, uncomfortable or painful it's I wear them for many hours each day and they often push on my glasses. Thank you for your help. 

01/15/2021 12:17 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

We do not recommend any Plantronics headsets. We have tested the Plantronics 5200 but it did not meet our standards.

We have been waiting 2 months for AfterShokz to respond to our reseller and test questions but they have yet to respond. When we can't call a manufacturer or get an email response, we lose that warm and fuzzy feeling and begin to question their stability.

Our current best wireless recommendation is the Sennheiser MB Pro2 UC/ML which is designed to be worn over your ears but works very well around your neck. You only need to point the microphone to your mouth which makes the MB Pro2 more comfortable than either of your 2 previous microphones. Additional Perk: You can move the headset speakers to your ears when you receive a cell phone call.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

01/25/2021 02:41 PM

Author Icon
Boffinboy

Thanks for the advice. For my use case I decided they made sense, needed to be able to keep them on rather than take on and off. The quality is overall good and with Dragon they perform pretty well. I have changed headset a few times so I need to let Dragon adjust, but I'd say they are performing better than previous plantronics and jabra headsets I had been given by work (which I know you don't recommend!). Leaving this review here in case others are considering them. 

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » Microphones and Sound Cards » AfterShokz OpenComm review?

Statistics
31938 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 485 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 485 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.