Use Linux OS and such   - mobleguy - 02/17/2021 02:18 AM  
 Use Linux OS and such   - Lunis Orcutt - 02/16/2021 06:36 PM  
Keyword
 10/22/2020 12:50 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Magiklair

Hello,

I have some health related issues that I use NaturallySpeaking for along with a serial mouse. Everything was great on Windows 7. I decided to upgrade to a new computterr and Windows 10 came with it. The serial mouse causes the computer to freeze every 2 hours. Tried 2 PCI cards, couple serial to USB. Both of these the PCI card and USB option cause Windows to crash or freeze often. I had hoped to use Linux with NaturallySpeaking but is not looking promising.

So I might  have to go back to Windows 7. Windows 10 just does not work with the mouse.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Brian

10/22/2020 08:28 AM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

A serial (port) mouse is pretty ancient. Perhaps it is a specific (trackball) model that you can't do without? If so there should be modern alternatives like the Marble Mouse or other ergonomic models.

Unless via a Virtual Machine using Dragon in Linux is not a real option. 

Speaking of virtualization you could install Windows 7 in Windows 10 via a virtual machine like Virtual Box but replacing your mouse with something more up-to-date would probably be best.

-------------------------

www.speechproductivity.eu 

Auto Box - SP Editor - HyperNotes - Hotkeys for Dragon - Quick Correct - Press Utility - Easy Guide to Dragon Scripting

10/22/2020 08:13 PM

Author Icon
Magiklair

Originally posted by: dilligence A serial (port) mouse is pretty ancient. Perhaps it is a specific (trackball) model that you can't do without? If so there should be modern alternatives like the Marble Mouse or other ergonomic models.

Unless via a Virtual Machine using Dragon in Linux is not a real option. 

Speaking of virtualization you could install Windows 7 in Windows 10 via a virtual machine like Virtual Box but replacing your mouse with something more up-to-date would probably be best.

Well I use a environmental control and it is older but it works well over or has with Windows 7. Yes there is the virtual machine route, well hopefully my friend can get it to work on Linux. Real techie

02/16/2021 09:11 AM

Author Icon
matthewls
Top-Tier Member

The above spam notwithstanding, I've been doing exactly the VM route for DNS for many years. Windows 7 is a better behaved guest than 10 for me.I've used vmware, virtualbox, and kvm/qemu, and the most convenient and useful for now is virtualbox, because it supports seamless windows (windows 7 apps appear on the desktop w/out win7 taking over the whole desktop). Modern CPUs have great VM support, and rebooting a VM when windows throws a fit is easy and fast.
Cheers, M

PS. my favorite Linux flavor now is Manjaro KDE. Especially great if you have a good GPU to go along with a modern CPU. I'm partial to AMD and this laptop is running the 4500u. Desktop is 3800x w/NVIDIA . RAM, lots of RAM, is good.

02/17/2021 02:18 AM

Author Icon
mobleguy
Power Member

Originally posted by: matthewls... I've been doing exactly the VM route for DNS for many years. Windows 7 is a better behaved guest than 10 for me.

PS. my favorite Linux flavor now is Manjaro KDE. Especially great if you have a good GPU to go along with a modern CPU. I'm partial to AMD and this laptop is running the 4500u. Desktop is 3800x w/NVIDIA . RAM, lots of RAM, is good.

I have been really curious about using DPI 15 on a virtual box running windows 7.  I am curious about your setup.  Do you ahve any issues mapping the headset to the virtual machine?

02/16/2021 06:36 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

The previous spammer was removed with extreme military prejudice

-------------------------

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » General Topics / Other » Use Linux OS and such

Statistics
31949 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 489 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 490 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.