KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: 2 laptops chronically freezing
Topic Summary: slave laptop freezes and becomes unstable after 72 hours requiring a reset
Created On: 11/06/2020 06:16 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 2 laptops chronically freezing   - DEBRADEW - 11/06/2020 06:16 PM  
 2 laptops chronically freezing   - Lunis Orcutt - 11/07/2020 03:06 PM  
 2 laptops chronically freezing   - kkkwj - 11/07/2020 03:23 PM  
Keyword
 11/06/2020 06:16 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
DEBRADEW

admittedly I am paralyzed from the neck down and use my master laptop three quarters of every day intensively, and if I do not do a reset twice a week at starts acting weirdly and will crash.  The slave laptop by only using notepad on, like it it's a Post-it note, and it freezes maybe once a month if I don't reset it.

I'm certainly not computer savvy by any stretch of the imagination, but on this unit I do have 854 gigabytes of spare room and 28 megs of RAM which I bought specifically to try to avoid these ccrashes but no joy.

-------------------------

Debra Scruggs-formerly a homeschooling mother of nine, general aviation pilot -currently a quadriplegic in a nursing home for 15 years from multiple sclerosis caused from being vaccinated 

former owner of Jupiter ice company in Jupiter Florida and ice machine rentals; homeschooling family

11/07/2020 03:06 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

A once a month freeze is not uncommon. Going beyond 16 Gb of RAM will probably have no effect on stability. You have far more RAM than you can probably use but DPI 15.3 froze on our computer around 8 times a day, for about 20 seconds.

Nuance dedicated and enormous amount of effort to fix the Dragon freezing issues and came pretty close with version DPI 15.6, which we recommend for everyone. We are no longer permitted to offer a direct public download but you can arrange a download by clicking Digital Download.

We are not computer experts but from our outside point of view, we suspect your computers are in perfect condition and not a concern.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

11/07/2020 03:23 PM

Author Icon
kkkwj
Top-Tier Member

Rebooting your Windows computer regularly is generally a good idea because the quality of Windows software is low enough that the programs can "leak" memory over time. (In contrast, Linux and Unix machines can have uptimes measured in years without problems.) Most likely your machine crashes because of software that leaks memory (loses track of it, or internal pointers to it) or loses track of communication mechanisms between pieces of software.

IMHO, your best bet is to plan to reboot your computer at least once a week. Then everything gets a fresh start.

Win10/x64, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 64GB RAM, Dragon 15.3, SP 6 PRO, SpeechStart, Office 365, KB 2017, Dragon Capture, Samson Meteor USB Desk Mic, Klim and JUKSTG earbuds with microphones, 3 BenQ 2560x1440 monitors, Microsoft Sculpt Keyboard and fat mouse

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » Dragon Speech Recognition » 2 laptops chronically freezing

Statistics
31891 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 608 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 609 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.