KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Untraining/removing certain pronunciations
Topic Summary: git=git!not, the=thee!thu, again=agane!agin...
Created On: 11/19/2020 04:27 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Untraining/removing certain pronunciations   - Ag - 11/19/2020 04:27 PM  
 Untraining/removing certain pronunciations   - Lunis Orcutt - 11/19/2020 06:22 PM  
 Untraining/removing certain pronunciations   - Mav - 11/20/2020 02:39 AM  
 Untraining/removing certain pronunciations   - R. Wilke - 11/21/2020 04:54 AM  
Keyword
 11/19/2020 04:27 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Ag
Top-Tier Member

Q: Is there any way to tell Dragon that I do not pronounce words a particular way?

I am Canadian,  English first generation,  but have lived in several places in  USA. My accent may be a mix.

I am using the American English vocabulary, to get American spellings.  but my pronunciation is in many ways Canadian.  

I am not sure the examples below are essentially Canadian, but they are nevertheless my pronunciation.

I always say the word "the"  with a long E, like "thee", not "thuh", as  many Americans do.  this is the most common misrecognition I  get the Dragon.

I always say the word "been" with a long E, like "bean", not "bin" as  many Americans do.

I always say "again" with a long A, "agane". Not "agin",  the way Americans do.

I always say "get" with a short E sound, as in the American southern "et" for "eat".    I have not lived in the South, so I have no reason to believe I have any component of American southern pronunciation.   Unfortunately, as a programmer I use the version control "git", which Dragon often insist on transcribing as "get".   I can  assure you that I do not pronounce "get"  the way Southerners do as "git".  

Is there any way to tell Dragon that I never use certain pronunciations?

-------------------------

DPG15.6 (also DPI 15.3) + KB, Sennheiser MB Pro 1 UC ML, BTD 800 dongle, Windows 10 Pro, MS Surface Book 3, Intel Core i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.3/1.5GHz (4 cores, 8 logical, GPU=NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000 with Max-Q Design.

11/19/2020 06:22 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

I just tested and have no trouble getting Dragon to recognize these words with either pronunciation but I was a radio DJ in a past life and this might have some effect.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

11/20/2020 02:39 AM

Author Icon
Mav
Top-Tier Member

I don't think there's a way to remove single pronunciations.

When a word is initially being added to a vocabulary, it gets at least one default pronunciation (depending on whether spoken audio is available or not, this pronunciation can be generated by the pronunciation guesser, in which case several slightly different pronunciations can be created).

By training this word, additional pronunciations can be added, but since there's no way to access a single pronunciation anymore, you can't even say for sure if a given word does have a specific pronunciation.

You could delete the whole word including all pronunciations and then try recreating it with just your own pronunciation, but Dragon won't let you delete commonly used words such as "the" or "been".

Furthermore, by "deleting" a word you're not actually removing it from the vocabulary, you're just setting a flag saying that this word should not be considered for recognition.

If you then try re-adding the word with your own pronunciation chances are that Dragon simply removes the "Deleted"-flag or pulls the word from its backup dictionary and you end up with all the pronunciations you tried to remove.

Altogether I think it'll be better if you try to increase the probability of your pronunciations by training those words that are misrecognized frequently and just hope for the best...

hth,

mav

11/21/2020 04:54 AM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

I am using the American English vocabulary, to get American spellings.  but my pronunciation is in many ways Canadian.

When setting up the profile, did you try mixing it with British accented English as an additional option?

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

Statistics
31891 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 550 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 552 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.