Multiple dictation sources   - Lunis Orcutt - 11/20/2020 05:22 PM  
 Multiple dictation sources   - R. Wilke - 11/20/2020 06:33 PM  
Keyword
 11/20/2020 02:04 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

JackyV
Power Member

Hi all,

I just added two new dictation sources to my original profile, so I now have three sources on one profile. I'm wondering what exactly gets saved when I close DPI – in other words, do changes to my vocabulary in one source change the vocabulary in all three sources?

Also, what about if I were to have extremely poor quality sound in one of them – will that potentially corrupt the quality of recognition with the other sources as well? Specifically, I created a source using the built in microphone on my computer. (I want it just as an emergency backup in case I should be without my real microphone for some reason.) Needless to say, the sound quality isn't great, and I frequently get the notification about excessive noise. So when I go to switch to another source or close Dragon, and it saves before switching or closing, is it saving excessive background noise behind its recognitions in my overall profile, or just in that source? And will that have detrimental effect on my recognition long term?

Thank you,
Jacky

-------------------------

Acer Aspire R5-471T, i7-6500, 2.5 GHz
8 GB RAM
512 GB SSD
BlueParrott VXi Xpressway headset
DPI 15.30.000.006
Windows 10 Home
Microsoft Office 2016

11/20/2020 02:18 PM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

When you set up different sources, it means that you can use different microphones. Dragon "remembers" the last source that you are using, so the next time you open Dragon, the program assumes that you are using the same microphone as last time.

(However, I'm not sure whether the source is saved automatically, or when you save the profile.)

Changes to the vocabulary that you might make are stored as part of the profile. It doesn't matter which microphone is selected. Dragon does not pay attention to the microphone you are using as it decides which words you have said.

11/20/2020 05:22 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Creating multiple sound sources for the same user profile simply means one profile with 3 sound sources but there is more information saved than you might think. It takes a minute or so because Dragon has to reload your user profile. 

Poor microphone accuracy with one sound source won't hurt Dragon's accuracy unless you save your profile but even then, the damage is typically very minimal.  However, you don't have to tolerate Dragon automatically saving your user profile. Just look up the word “hack” in the Quick Tips at the top of this page for details on making Dragon ask you whether or not you wish to save your user profile when closing, like it should

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

11/20/2020 06:33 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Dragon creates and maintains individual acoustic information (models) for each particular source, so they don't affect each other. A way of dealing with them is to to use DragonSources.

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » Dragon Speech Recognition » Multiple dictation sources

Statistics
31891 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 632 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 633 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.