KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Dragon (DPI-15) not working after Windows update
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/22/2020 11:29 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Dragon (DPI-15) not working after Windows update   - WeThotUWasAToad - 11/22/2020 11:29 AM  
 Dragon (DPI-15) not working after Windows update   - Edgar - 11/22/2020 12:13 PM  
 Dragon (DPI-15) not working after Windows update   - WeThotUWasAToad - 11/22/2020 12:54 PM  
 Dragon (DPI-15) not working after Windows update   - Lunis Orcutt - 11/22/2020 03:04 PM  
 Dragon (DPI-15) not working after Windows update   - WeThotUWasAToad - 11/23/2020 08:48 PM  
 Dragon (DPI-15) not working after Windows update   - WeThotUWasAToad - 11/26/2020 05:15 PM  
Keyword
 11/22/2020 11:29 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
WeThotUWasAToad

Hello,

Windows was updated overnight and now my Dragon Pro Individual v15 (DPI) app is not working.

When I run DPI, the app starts, but the DragonBar says: "Dragon's microphone is off" and instead of the green/red indicator circle, there's a grey circle with an "X" thru it:

https://imgur.com/xIM96ur

When I first logged in to my PC this morning, there was a screen asking me to set several settings to ON or OFF. I'm wondering if I turned something off that should be on. I don't know how to get back to that screen to make changes.

By the way, I'm a quadriplegic and rely on DPI for almost everything I do on my PC. I have a TableMike which I have verified is working using the Sound settings box (and also my on-screen phone app):

https://imgur.com/NdHWDwI

I'd appreciate any suggestions re how to resolve this issue.

Thanks

-------------------------

A ____________________ [A LOT OF SPACE] ____________________ LOT

"ALOT" is not a word — it never has been a word and it never will be a word.

"A LOT" is 2 words. Remember it as though there's [A LOT OF SPACE] between them.

11/22/2020 12:13 PM

Author Icon
Edgar
Top-Tier Member

We see something similar to this quite often for Audacity’s tech support, here is our generic answer:

For some users Windows 10 is now blocking Audacity from using the microphone, on the basis of privacy settings.

After upgrading to version [1803], some users have been reporting that the microphone is getting detected, but it doesn't pick up any sound.

In order to get around this issue, Microsoft recommends that you need to enable the microphone in your Privacy settings using these steps:

1) Open Settings

2) Click on Privacy

3) Click on Microphone

4)Turn on the Allow apps to access your microphone toggle switch.

See this Microsoft website for more details: https://www.windowscentral.com/windows- ... ows10_1803

That might give enough information to successfully resolve the issue.

-Edgar
DPI 15.3, 64-bit Windows 10 Pro, OpenOffice & Office 365, Norton Security, Shure X2U XLR to USB mic adapter with Audio Technica DB135 vocal mic, Asus X299-Deluxe Prime, Intel Core i9-7940X (14 core, 4.3 GHz overclocked to 4.9 GHz), G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3333 (PC4 26600) F4-3333C16Q-64GTZ, NVIDIA GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 GV-N1060G1 GAMING-6GD REV 2.0 6GB graphics card with 3 1920x1080 monitors

11/22/2020 12:54 PM

Author Icon
WeThotUWasAToad

Thanks for the prompt reply Edgar.

I followed your instructions and found that the "Allow apps to access your microphone" switch was already set to ON. Also, the fact that my phone app is working OK seems to indicate that the mic is working properly.

Here is something: I just had the idea to try creating a new DPI profile, so that's what I did and voilà, the mic is working fine in the new profile.

So now the question is, how can I troubleshoot the mic issue for my existing profile? Is there somewhere to designate the mic to be used for a specific profile or change some other setting in the profile which is not working?

Thanks

"A LOT" is 2 words. Remember it as though there's [A LOT OF SPACE] between them.

11/22/2020 03:04 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Try switching to your original backup user profile which you will find detailed in the Quick Tips (at the top of this page) when you search for the word “Switching”

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

11/23/2020 08:48 PM

Author Icon
WeThotUWasAToad

I will do that Lunis. And thanks for mentioning Quick Tips. I've never gone there before but, just at first perusal, I can see that it's a valuable resource.

11/26/2020 05:15 PM

Author Icon
WeThotUWasAToad

Resolution:

I went to QuickTips (as suggested by Lunis) and found the topic:

Microphone Refuses To Open In A User Profile ~ Stephan Kuepper

As directed, I navigated to:
C:\ProgramData\Nuance\NaturallySpeaking15\Users\(your username) current\options.ini

Note: there's a typo/error in the above file location which confused me for several minutes until I realized there's a folder called "current". So someone with access should change the space just before "current" to a back slash:
C:\ProgramData\Nuance\NaturallySpeaking15\Users\(your username)\current\options.ini

Next as directed, I opened the options.ini file and changed:

Last Used Acoustics=8 1
To:
Last Used Acoustics=2 1

Then after saving the change and relaunching DPI-15, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that my main user profile is now functioning again.

I have no idea what that change did or why a Microsoft update would cause such a problem but thank you Lunis. And a special thank you to Stephan Kuepper for the tip.

Statistics
31887 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 507 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 508 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.