KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: How do other hands-free coders enter and edit sizable amounts of English text?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/22/2020 12:41 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Keyword
 11/22/2020 12:41 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

mdl
Top-Tier Member

There are a fair number of demos now showing how you can enter code using command grammars but I haven't seen anything showing how to enter (including correcting misrecognitions) English text.  Those grammars seem unsuited for entering and editing sizable amounts of English like multiline comments, documentation (e.g., markdown), emails, or chat messages.

How do people do that?  Dragon capture plus editor commands (without correction support from DNS)?  Using a separate select-and-say application then copying text to where you need it to go?

(I use a special NatLink grammar I wrote, Vortex, which provides basic Select-and-Say functionality for the recent utterances in any application, combined with editor commands.)

11/22/2020 02:24 PM

Author Icon
Mphillipson
Top-Tier Member

If I need to create a large amount of text, I will call up a custom dictation box or the one provided by Speech Productivity.

These pop up a lot quicker than the built-in dictation box with Dragon, and still have the same Select-and-Say functionality.

If I am confident that the text I dictate will work without recognition required I will just use a basic script with an open ended dictation.

-------------------------

Thanks Mark

Dragon Professional Advanced Scripting/KnowBrainer Scripts
Video Examples of Coding by Voice

11/22/2020 04:13 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Edgar
Top-Tier Member

I don't think there is one good answer… It probably depends on the language you are coding for and it certainly depends on the IDE you are in. If I am coding in anything vaguely C-like or F-like I am almost certainly in Microsoft Visual Studio (anything from 2008 through 2017 - 2019 Community fails to install due to permissions problems); with Basic the IDEs are too numerous to mention (Dragon, KnowBrainer, MS VS, BasicCAD, Scite PSPad etc.)

In Microsoft Visual Studio I found a very important switch to turn off… On the "Tools" menu, choose the "Options" item to bring up the Options dialog. In the left-hand panel open "Text Editor" and its "C#" item and select its "IntelliSense" item. The first thing should be "Completion Lists"; there are two related checkboxes "Show completion list after a character is typed" and "Show completion list after a character is deleted"; BOTH of these should NOT checked. Having the next two items ("Highlight matching…" And "Show completion item filters" checked is fine and helpful to me.

I have quite a few specific commands to build "comments"; for HTML:

Case "Begin Comment"
         SendKeys "<!-- ", 1
      Case "End Comment"
         SendKeys " -->", 1

MS VS-specific:

Command name="My Comment" 
       SendKeys "//efm5 ", 1Command Name="My Start Comment"

SendKeys "//efm5  start ", 1
Command Name="My End Comment"
   SendKeys "//efm5  end ", 1
Command Name="Comment Out"
 SendKeys "+^%k", 1' custom keyboard shortcut
Command Name="Remove Comment"
 SendKeys "+^%z", 1' custom keyboard shortcut
Command Name="Debug <dictation>"
   SendKeys "//DEBUG efm5 ", 1
   SendKeys ListVar1, 1
   SendKeys " ", 1
   SendKeys Format(Now, "d MMMM yyyy" ), 1
   SendKeys "^{Left 3}", 1

I have an MS VS-specific command which copies the entire current document, opens/activates PSPad (my preferred programming editor of the moment), opens new blank document, pastes said current document in, allows me to work on it as I see fit, then using another command allows me to transfer the resulting work back to MS VS. It's almost the same as using Notepad as they transfer box but PSPad knows how to smartly work on a gazillion different flavors of code.

-Edgar
DPI 15.3, 64-bit Windows 10 Pro, OpenOffice & Office 365, Norton Security, Shure X2U XLR to USB mic adapter with Audio Technica DB135 vocal mic, Asus X299-Deluxe Prime, Intel Core i9-7940X (14 core, 4.3 GHz overclocked to 4.9 GHz), G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3333 (PC4 26600) F4-3333C16Q-64GTZ, NVIDIA GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 GV-N1060G1 GAMING-6GD REV 2.0 6GB graphics card with 3 1920x1080 monitors

11/22/2020 08:41 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: Mphillipson If I need to create a large amount of text, I will call up a custom dictation box or the one provided by Speech Productivity. These pop up a lot quicker than the built-in dictation box with Dragon, and still have the same Select-and-Say functionality. If I am confident that the text I dictate will work without recognition required I will just use a basic script with an open ended dictation.

You might also want to check out your KnowBrainer Notepad <dictation> command which is also instant; unlike Dragon's Dictation Box. You can say Transfer to close Notepad and simultaneously transfer your text. These 2 commands are rudimentary and don't compare to SP Pro but are roughly equivalent for simple unformatted text.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

Statistics
31891 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 610 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 613 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.