KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: DPI 15.61 inserts extra characters at random, interprets words as commands
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/24/2020 12:32 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Keyword
 11/24/2020 12:32 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
harpalus
Advanced Member

I have only briefly used DPI 15.61 but have noticed that it inserts extra characters sometimes when I am dictating into Microsoft Word (Microsoft 365 version). For example, today in a different post that was composed in Microsoft Word, it inserted a period in the middle of my dictation. A check of recognition history showed no mention of a period during the dictation. On another occasion I dictated a word that ended in the letter s and instead of getting the desired word got the word that I dictated with an additional s at the end, resulting in the word of course being misspelled. I don’t remember what the word was but I certainly remember the surprise of seeing an extra s added to the end of the word.

Just discovered another strange thing. Notice the above “the end of the word” I dictated those words and found that nothing appeared on the screen in Microsoft Word. When I checked the recognition history it showed that I had given a command with the name of “the end of the word” At this point I suspect it’s time to try making yet another new user profile. The one I am using is from DPI 15.6.

Well, to get the word profile to show up in the above paragraph I had to hold down the shift key because apparently there is now a command called just profile. I don’t have Knowbrainer running and don’t know about any command with that name in DPI. When I say profile without holding down the shift key, absolutely nothing visible happens and the recognition history consistently shows that I uttered a command named "profile".

The one thing that has become crystal-clear for me is that over time it is becoming more and more and more difficult to use DPI because DPI seems to be less and less compatible with Windows 10. I remember when I used to use version 15 to happily dictate within Microsoft Outlook for example. Freezes were once a thing that just didn’t occur. I hope the people at Nuance actually fix the program.

-------------------------

GaryN

11/24/2020 12:13 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Say show Dragon formatting and look to see if there is a checkmark in Automatically add commas and periods. If you don't see a checkmark, it's time to create a new user profile or switch to your backup user profile (assuming it is not already corrupted). Note that Dragon overwrites the backup user profile every 5 times you save your profile or close Dragon (default setting). If you want to try switching to your backup user profile, open Windows Task Manager and End Task Dragon.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

11/24/2020 02:31 PM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

"the end of the word" ... I suspect it's time to try making yet another new user profile. The one I am using is from DPI 15.6.

This is a legitimate Word command. I wasn't familiar with it, and I am scratching my head as to why Dragon's developers thought it was a good idea. But I doubt the command was recently introduced. There are tens of thousands of built-in "Natural Language" Dragon commands for Microsoft Word. Many are useful, but hardly anybody needs hard-to-pronounce and hard-to-remember commands like "unstrikeout this column," "toggle the case of the next 24 sections," "shade page 7 in blue," and many more.

A new profile will contain "the end of the word" as a command for Microsoft Word. The best workaround: avoid using this phrase!

If you frequently need to use the phrase, avoid dictating into Microsoft Word.

When I say profile without holding down the shift key, absolutely nothing visible happens and the recognition history consistently shows that I uttered a command named "profile".

I don't think there is a built-in command called "Profile." However, Dragon has the ability to generate commands on-the-fly based on interactive elements in the user interface of the application you're dictating into. For example, if you are using a web browser (Firefox, Chrome, etc.) to visit the KnowBrainer Forum, there is a "Profile" link near the top of the page. If the "Profile" link is visible while dictating into the forum, Dragon will "think" that you want to click on the link.

If this happens a lot, the solution is to enable all Dragon options that force users to preface commands with "click" when activating interactive elements like hypertext links, menus, buttons, etc.
 11/24/2020 10:03 PM

Author Icon
harpalus
Advanced Member

Alan, thanks for the information. It was mind-boggling to learn that the phrase was a command. Fortunately I don't use it except in describing problems with DPI. As regards the word profile - which this time DPI recognized as a word rather than a command - I have checked all of the options for requiring the word click when activating interactive elements. I noticed that if I speak continuously I can use the word profile but if I hesitate even a tiny bit, the word is regarded as a command. I don't normally use the word profile so hopefully there will be no future problems with words being interpreted as commands. Again many thanks for the information.

GaryN

Statistics
31891 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 624 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 626 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.