KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Dragon and Chrome an unhappy marriage
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/24/2020 12:47 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Dragon and Chrome an unhappy marriage   - jzents - 11/24/2020 12:47 PM  
 Dragon and Chrome an unhappy marriage   - Matt_Chambers - 11/24/2020 12:55 PM  
 Dragon and Chrome an unhappy marriage   - jzents - 11/25/2020 10:26 AM  
 Dragon and Chrome an unhappy marriage   - dougransom - 12/10/2020 11:01 AM  
 Dragon and Chrome an unhappy marriage   - Lunis Orcutt - 11/24/2020 03:33 PM  
 Dragon and Chrome an unhappy marriage   - jzents - 11/25/2020 10:28 AM  
 Dragon and Chrome an unhappy marriage   - monkey8 - 11/25/2020 10:45 AM  
 Dragon and Chrome an unhappy marriage   - MaxM - 11/29/2020 01:57 AM  
 Dragon and Chrome an unhappy marriage   - mareid - 12/01/2020 07:37 AM  
 Dragon and Chrome an unhappy marriage   - Lunis Orcutt - 12/03/2020 02:05 PM  
 Dragon and Chrome an unhappy marriage   - mareid - 12/09/2020 06:25 AM  
 Dragon and Chrome an unhappy marriage   - Mav - 12/09/2020 06:43 AM  
 Dragon and Chrome an unhappy marriage   - mareid - 12/12/2020 12:47 PM  
 Dragon and Chrome an unhappy marriage   - Mav - 12/14/2020 08:17 AM  
 Dragon and Chrome an unhappy marriage   - gasolo - 12/14/2020 07:59 AM  
 Dragon and Chrome an unhappy marriage   - monkey8 - 12/14/2020 11:41 AM  
Keyword
 11/24/2020 12:47 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
jzents

Dragon and chrome do not seem to work together well. The extension works some of the time and then some of the time just doesn't want to work at all. Do you have a utility or workaround for problems like this. I kind of need to use chrome because blackboard really doesn't like any other browsers except Chrome and to a certain extent Firefox

-------------------------
Jeffrey Zents
 11/24/2020 12:55 PM

Author Icon
Matt_Chambers
Top-Tier Member

You can use Microsoft Edge or Brave instead, both of which work well with Dragon.
 11/25/2020 10:26 AM

Author Icon
jzents

What you said is probably true, but I hesitate anyway. The blackboard support staffs at my campus encourage us to use Google Chrome and Blackboard itself tends to favor Firefox. I will give it a try and see if I can get away with it.

Jeffrey Zents
 12/10/2020 11:01 AM

Author Icon
dougransom
Power Member

if you install unimacro, any chromium based browser should work ok - edge, chromium, etc.

Doug Ransom

11/24/2020 03:33 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Jeff,

This was a problem with Dragon's 1st Google Chrome extension but some time ago, Google removed it because it didn't meet their standards. Nuance had to upload a replacement Google approved extension. You might consider removing the current extension and replacing it with the latest Google Extension. We can't guarantee that your experience will be any different but it seemed to work for us. Google Chrome used to drop the Dragon extension approximately every 20 minutes. We had to close and relaunch Google Chrome which quickly became old.

We also 2nd Matt's recommendation to switch from Google Chrome to Microsoft Edge, which uses the same extension but is stable. You should be able to use Microsoft Edge for nearly everything you are using the Google Chrome browser for.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

11/25/2020 10:28 AM

Author Icon
jzents

Thank you also! I am concerned as I stated in my reply to the other poster by the fact that Blackboard support staffs on my campus urges to use Chrome and black board itself tends to favor Firefox. I will probably give it a try. Because as it stands dragon is useless in one of its major functions: dictating grades and comments into student submissions in blackboard. If dragon cannot do that for me, that's about 50% of its functionality shot for me.

Jeffrey Zents
 11/25/2020 10:45 AM

Author Icon
monkey8
Top-Tier Member

See the following and make sure that all entries for chrome (83,84,85 are set to 1). You can edit the file while Dragon is running and then save it and you should notice any difference straightaway. In fact all such entries should be set to 1.

https://www.knowbrainer.com/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Threaded&catid=4&threadid=34502&discTab=true#178978

11/29/2020 01:57 AM

Author Icon
MaxM

As a university instructor, I use Blackboard on a daily basis. I have switched to Edge without any problems.
 12/01/2020 07:37 AM

Author Icon
mareid

According to the Dragon support pages, Firefox has fuller support than Chrome. I use Firefox for all of my browsing with Dragon, including interfacing with my campus' LMS. The only problem I tend to have with Firefox is that Dragon flakes out when working with Google Drive documents, forcing me to reload the page way more often than I would prefer. Other than that, it tends to work extremely well. Is there a reason to prefer Chrome or Edge over Firefox?
 12/03/2020 02:05 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

The only difference between Firefox, Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer (which should not be used) is Nuance's omittance of mentioning the Natural Language Commands that are available in those 4 browsers. And... If you're using KnowBrainer 2017, you're actually better off with Microsoft Edge because of several command advantages. We put Google Chrome in 2nd place.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

12/09/2020 06:25 AM

Author Icon
mareid

You guys have inspired me to try using Dragon with Microsoft Edge. I couldn't find a web extension specific to Edge. I tried installing the Chrome one, but it doesn't seem to actually do anything. I can't "show links" or input text directly into any field in the browser. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get started with Edge?

(Also, it looks like my previous post with a link to Nuance's support page was deleted. How come?)
 12/09/2020 06:43 AM

Author Icon
Mav
Top-Tier Member

Hi!
You can use the chrome web extensions with the new, chromium-based Edge version.

Here is a link to the chrome web store:
Dragon Weberweiterung - Chrome Web Store (google.com)

In fact, I'm just dictating this reply using Dragon Group 15.6 - works quite well.

The only thing I noticed is that selection by voice sometimes doesn't work (Dragon cannot find any matching text) and I sometimes get delays with VoiceCommands.

HTH,

mav

12/12/2020 12:47 PM

Author Icon
mareid

Thanks! For some reason, that extension doesn't work for me. I installed the exact one you linked to and enabled it, but as far as I can tell the only thing it enables is "show numbers". I can't dictate into any field without the Dictation Box popping up, and commands like "go back" do nothing. I've checked that I'm on the most recent version of Edge.
 12/14/2020 08:17 AM

Author Icon
Mav
Top-Tier Member

Have you checked if the check mark at "Enable HTML support" under Settings/Commands is set?

Performing dictation and commands on a web page requires two parts: a browser addin analyzing the web page and an internal server "process" in Dragon communicating with the addin.

If "Enable HTML support" is unchecked, this whole server isn't being started and thus neither dictation nor commands work on web pages, even though the setting is located on the "Commands" tab.

hth,

mav

12/14/2020 07:59 AM

gasolo

That may be a function of the Blackboard version the school deploys and not Dragon. I teach using Blackboard at two different schools. In one, Dragon works well. In the other I get zero select and say.

As a result, I dictate using Speech Productivity when  using Blackboard. By the way, I use MS Edge. 

If I were you, I would download Edge and try using it for school. if it works, keep using it.

GaSolo

12/14/2020 11:41 AM

Author Icon
monkey8
Top-Tier Member

Users should note that the Dragon extension will not work on a Google Chrome new tab or a Microsoft Edge new tab. Neither will it work on any URL beginning with chrome (in the case of chrome) such as:

chrome://settings/

Or in the case of Microsoft Edge any address beginning with edge such as:

edge://settings/

This is due to a security restriction. If when you start chrome or edge it opens with a new tab, which is the default setting, see the following:

https://www.knowbrainer.com/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=4&threadid=27962&highlight_key=y&keyword1=Google%20Chrome

The same restrictions apply to the click by voice extension.

Secondly if you start a second instance of chrome it will always open with a new tab irrespective of your start-up settings so again this causes confusion and what users describe as intermittent problems.

If the command "Show Numbers" is working in chrome or edge you must be using Speechstart+ which will overcome the issues above. The command "Show Numbers" is not available from the extension, the equivalent commands available from the extension are e.g. "show links", "click link" but these commands will not number the menus or components above the HTML webpage. Again Speechstart+ will overcome these issues and number all menus and components above the HTML webpage. Likewise with the "DISPLAY Numbers" command available with KB.

EDIT: in the thread linked above it mentions that the fix shown on the thread also stops Dragon continually prompting you to enable the Dragon extension. However if you still get this problem and you can see that the Dragon extension is already enabled and available (e.g. the nuance logo is visible) then simply click on "do not show this message again" followed by ok.

Statistics
31891 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 582 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 582 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.