Windows Event Log high CPU usage   - Camner - 04/21/2022 10:06 PM  
 Windows Event Log high CPU usage   - R. Wilke - 04/22/2022 04:33 AM  
 Windows Event Log high CPU usage   - dilligence - 04/22/2022 10:17 AM  
 Windows Event Log high CPU usage   - R. Wilke - 04/22/2022 07:31 PM  
Keyword
 03/04/2022 06:15 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Camner

Whenever DPI 15.3 is running, Task Manager reports a high CPU usage from "Service Host: Windows Event Log".  When I look at the Event Log, I see the following error message firing off continuously: "Max Reconnections Service Does not Respond; switching to file log.  And this is coming from "Dragon Log"

I am attaching a screenshot of the messages I get.

Any help would be appreciated.

03/05/2022 09:39 AM

Author Icon
Edgar
Top-Tier Member

About a month ago I got tired of the overhead consumed by the Dragon Log. On my system, not only does it consume a lot of resources but it also significantly slows down Dragon®. It's not the easiest thing to slay - even if you end its task in the Task Manager it immediately restarts itself.

It seems that the only practical way to keep it from starting automatically is to rename (removing is too drastic - you might need it someday) its executable. The easiest way to find the executable is to open the Task Manager, show more details, and find it in the Processes (it will be obvious from its process name which includes "Dragon log"); right-click to expose the context menu and choose "open file location".

On my system it is located here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Nuance\
and is called:
loggerservice.exe
I renamed it:
Xloggerservice.exe

You should probably reboot your system after making the same change.

-------------------------

-Edgar
DPI 15.3, 64-bit Windows 10 Pro, OpenOffice & Office 365, Norton Security, Shure X2U XLR to USB mic adapter with Audio Technica DB135 vocal mic, Asus X299-Deluxe Prime, Intel Core i9-7940X (14 core, 4.3 GHz overclocked to 4.9 GHz), G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3333 (PC4 26600) F4-3333C16Q-64GTZ, NVIDIA GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 GV-N1060G1 GAMING-6GD REV 2.0 6GB graphics card with 3 1920x1080 monitors

03/05/2022 10:27 AM

Author Icon
Matt_Chambers
Top-Tier Member

03/05/2022 01:42 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Personally, I believe the whole talk about the Dragon logging service bogging down the system to be just nonsense.

Early on when Natlink was created, Joel introduced writing to the Dragon log file from within Natlink in vast amounts, and, when I took over taking care of the source code, this was one of the first things which I took out; initially disputed and objected to by Quintijn, but I stuck to it, not because of performance concerns, but rather because Nuance may not appreciate third parties dumping on their stuff, and you probably remember all the discussions back then about third parties hooking into Dragon being legal or illegal in all kinds of ways, and whether or not Natlink was legal or not. (Effectively and technically, it never was illegal, as opposed to the contenders, such as KnowBrainer and VoiceComputer to begin with, although both kept claiming it was. You just can't take them seriously, they just don't know what it is all about.)

However, getting back to the point, as far as I can tell nobody reported the system being bogged down by adding to the Dragon log service from within Natlink, so I would simply just ignore it.

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

03/06/2022 12:01 AM

Camner

@R. Wilke:

I do not run Natlink, so I suspect your comments may not speak to my situation.

I do not understand how you can dismiss observations about Dragon logging service bogging down the system. At times it is consuming 100% of CPU according to task manager, and when that is happening, the system clearly is "boggy." Are you dismissing this as a possibility?
 03/06/2022 10:19 PM

Author Icon
esjesjesj

I believe R. Wilke is right about the non-connection between logging and system performance. The past two or three window systems I have run NaturallySpeaking on generally suck for NaturallySpeaking performance. Sometimes the system interrupt count is very high, other times there's no apparent reason for the lagging/stuttering behavior.

All I know is that over some apparently random period of time, NaturallySpeaking becomes increasingly less responsive with delays up to 45 seconds between speaking and text appearing on the screen. Task manager shows note useful data. Reboot the machine and all is well. I've given up trying to solve it.

03/08/2022 01:45 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

I believe R. Wilke is right about the non-connection between logging and system performance. 

Maybe it is just the other way round? Maybe the Dragon logger service being so extremely busy indicates an underlying problem going on in the NatSpeak process? Therefore, disabling the service in which ever way may not solve it, but rather disguise it, and be tantamount to killing the messenger, but not the culprit.

You had better listen to what Dragon tells you.

The Nuance developers are not that dumb, and everything they made is there for a reason.

I strongly recommend against messing about with any single piece of the program as they provide it, unless you really understand what you are doing. (Which doesn't hold true for 99.9% of the people around here).

DragonCapture Homepage

03/08/2022 03:30 PM

Camner

I strongly recommend against messing about with any single piece of the program as they provide it, unless you really understand what you are doing. (Which doesn't hold true for 99.9% of the people around here).
We ALL know that we are firmly part of the .1%; it's everybody else that doesn't know that they are part of the 99.9%...

03/08/2022 03:36 PM

Author Icon
Matt_Chambers
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: Camner
We ALL know that we are firmly part of the .1%; it's everybody else that doesn't know that they are part of the 99.9%...

I believe you are referring to the Dunning-Kruger effect.  It definitely applies here.

03/06/2022 09:08 AM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Are you dismissing this as a possibility?

No, I am not, because if you say it happens, it happens. It just doesn't happen with me, and has never happened with me, and I have been running Dragon, all kinds of versions, for almost 20 years, all day long, every day.

So I would assume that, if it happens, it isn't by design, and isn't meant to be like this, but rather indicating some particular issue. And if this is true, terminating the service one way or the other probably only covers it, but doesn't solve it.

The reason I mentioned Natlink was just as a proof of concept that you could add about 25% or perhaps more additional workload to the service without it starting to malfunction.

DragonCapture Homepage

04/21/2022 10:06 PM

Camner

I have turned off the Dragon Logger Service and Dragon Service for several months, with the the slowdown effect cured. However, turning off Dragon Service does adversely affect the ability to dictate into web pages.

I'd like to turn Dragon Service back on, but I can't remember (and I foolishly didn't write down) the "Startup Type" for Dragon Service. Is it Manual or Automatic?
 04/21/2022 10:06 PM

Camner

I have turned off the Dragon Logger Service and Dragon Service for several months, with the the slowdown effect cured. However, turning off Dragon Service does adversely affect the ability to dictate into web pages.

I'd like to turn Dragon Service back on, but I can't remember (and I foolishly didn't write down) the "Startup Type" for Dragon Service. Is it Manual or Automatic?
 04/22/2022 04:33 AM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

For both Dragon Logger Service and Dragon Service the Startup Type is "Automatic".

DragonCapture Homepage

04/22/2022 10:17 AM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

I removed both files from C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Nuance\ but I zipped them up in that same folder for security reasons, also made a backup somewhere else.

There is absolutely no adverse effects on my system at all, and I can happily keep on dictating in any browser .

Looks like it speeded up Dragon performance a tiny bit, but that's hard to tell because response is already very fast on my system, as you can see in my SP videos.

Anyway, the less processes running the better! Particularly since there's not a whole lot left to tweak in Windows these days (compared to the happy Windows XP/7 days).

This is probably a total coincidence and may be caused by something else, but I see that since I made this change, my CoreTemp monitoring utility indicates my CPU temp has dropped (idle) from 28° to 27°.

https://speechproductivity.eu

Turbocharge your Dragon® productivity with 40 Power Addons

04/22/2022 07:31 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Looks like it speeded up Dragon performance a tiny bit, but that's hard to tell because response is already very fast on my system, as you can see in my SP videos.

Well, as far as performance, if you look at my demo videos, you probably couldn't tell that they were shot on a virtual machine (VMware, which comes at a cost and is not for cheap seats), as I wanted to run from within an "English" Windows, with the Dragon services turned on both on the host and the guest system. If the services seem to cause a problem, the problem is definitely somewhere else, and turning them off making a difference seems more like a placebo effect.

DragonCapture Homepage

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » Dragon Speech Recognition » Windows Event Log high CPU usage

Statistics
32305 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 373 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 373 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2022 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.