KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Dragon completely freezes on me when I go to certain websites
Topic Summary: When I go to a webssite blocked by hospital Wi-Fi, Dragon just stopped working?
Created On: 04/09/2022 11:46 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Keyword
 04/09/2022 11:46 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Ghost

I'm starting to question my understanding of computers. Dragon is an off-line program. Why in the world would the website I am at have an effect on how it performs. I needd a developer insight. Shouldn't it be as simple as, "Dragon press this button" and it just does it as if I was using the keyboard? How in the world does the website I am on affect how Dragon is running? And it is specifically websites blocked by the hospital's Wi-Fi that I'm in. For instancee, library Genesis. I use it to see what kind of books are out there, I WOULDN'T DOWNLOAD ONE OF COURSE! I would obviously purchase the physical book which I cannot utilize using my hands due to my paralysis.

When I go on a website that would normally be blocked using my VPN, I give maybe one command before Dragon completely freezes and starts executing commands every 30 seconds to one minute. How do I get around this? I needed to window shop PDFs. WINDOW SHOP :-(

-------------------------
Forrest Phillips
 04/10/2022 08:34 AM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

There are several reasons why Dragon® can freeze on websites. Certain page elements can be the culprit. I've even experienced that some websites can cause Dragon to sneak out entirely. 

However, it's usually caused by the Chrome/Edge web extension. You might want to temporarily disable that to see if it helps.

Which browser are you using? I recommend Firefox because that appears to be speech friendly all on its own.

I'm also interested which specific Dragon® version you are using (DPI 15.3 or 15.6).

https://speechproductivity.eu

Turbocharge your Dragon® productivity with 40 Power Addons

04/10/2022 04:47 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

It sounds like you might be using Chrome which has difficulties with the NatSpeak (Dragon) extension. Dilligence's Firefox recommendation is solid but we prefer Microsoft Edge because Microsoft bought out Nuance and Microsoft is going to require support in Edge 1st. Other browser support may or may not be improved. We are using DPG 15.71 which already includes an improved Microsoft Edge extension that is not available for other browsers. Note that the new extension only currently works in DPG 15.71 but we assume it will be included in Ver. 16. In other words, you can all but assume that future Dragon releases will work better in Edge.

Having said that, don't give up on Firefox yet. Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge will not allow you, even after frequent warnings, to go to some websites. For example: We can only access https://forum.voicecomputer.com/ from Firefox and most IP speed websites like  https://www.speedtest.net/ will not work.

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

04/12/2022 05:01 PM

Author Icon
Ag
Top-Tier Member

I suffered such freezes in several web browsers (Chrome, Edge, Firefox) when I was NOT using any Dragon web extension or anything. For that matter, even after I stripped out all add-ons/extensions/plug-ins.

BTW, on occasion I have let my machine percolate, going away to do something else for a while, to see if it was a true freeze or just a stall that eventually terminated. Even more rarely I have stubbornly stayed in front of my machine waiting for the stall/freeze/hang to terminate. I have regularly seen such stalls last five minutes, sometimes 15 minutes, and sometimes as longs 45 minutes - and still recover. on the other hand, there have been quite a few such occasions where I was not willing to wait, and resorted to killing Dragon and related processes, and occasionally just restarting.

As far as I can tell the freezes are related to parsing of the HTML of the website. As @dilligence says, "certain [web]page elements". I haven't investigated enough to determine if it is just plain the number of HTML links need to be parsed, or if there are certain elements beyond simple <_A_html="..."_> that are causing specific problems.

I have greatly reduced these problems since I disabled "Voice enable menus, Buttons, and other controls" in many circumstances.

DPG15.6 (also DPI 15.3) + KB, Sennheiser MB Pro 1 UC ML, BTD 800 dongle, Windows 10 Pro, MS Surface Book 3, Intel Core i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.3/1.5GHz (4 cores, 8 logical, GPU=NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000 with Max-Q Design.

Statistics
32305 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 472 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 472 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2022 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.