KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: DPI crashing
Topic Summary: DPI doesn't just crash, the DragonBar disappears!
Created On: 04/10/2022 02:41 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 DPI crashing   - Allan H. - 04/10/2022 02:41 AM  
 DPI crashing   - R. Wilke - 04/10/2022 01:52 PM  
 DPI crashing   - Allan H. - 04/28/2022 01:29 AM  
 DPI crashing   - Mav - 04/28/2022 03:35 AM  
Keyword
 04/10/2022 02:41 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Allan H.
Power Member

I have had enough. I need some advice where to start troubleshooting DPI failures.

This afternoon I had Microsoft Outlook open in the right-hand monitor while I was chasing through for some information in emails. The left-hand monitor had Firefox open to a webpage where I was dictating into one of those ubiquitous "contact us by filling out this form "pages.

And as I moved the cursor from the right-hand screen to the left, the Dragon dragonbar just... disappeared. Not a software hang, stall, or lock up. All voice recognition functionality stopped and the DragonBar removed itself from the screen. This is a fault that happens every couple of hours now when I have a few applications open.

(Looking at the taskbar, the only other applications open were an Excel spreadsheet, PDF-XChange Editor and File Explorer)

Configuration:
1. Software - current versions of all the following - Windows 10 & Office 365 (sigh), Firefox, DPI 15.6, KnowBrainer 2020, DragonCapture.
2. Hardware - PC a few months old consisting of a AMD Ryzen 5 5600G with 32 GB of RAM using an M2 SSD for storage.

Any suggestions where I should start troubleshooting this one please. Setting up voice recognition on this PC is turning out to be a problem.

thanks very much,
Allan H

04/10/2022 01:52 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

My recommendation will be to start by eliminating potential culprits:

1. KnowBrainer 2020
2. DragonCapture

I can only speak for DragonCapture as I haven't developed KnowBrainer 2020.

As regards DragonCapture, the hard way would be uninstalling it and when doing so optionally either keeping the license registration or releasing it, or else going to "Options - Shutdown"just for the particular session.

-------------------------

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

04/28/2022 01:29 AM

Allan H.
Power Member

best solution was to uninstall DragonCapture.Still not happy with performance. Hesitancy, occasional stalls, inserting a blank space at the start of an input field in Firefox.

What would really help though would be to eliminate the lag that happens when you stop dictating for a couple of minutes and then restart. A modern processor and an NVME SSD should just about eliminate any lags due to page file swapping.

Any suggestions what I can do to speed up that response and keep the microphone "primed" ready to accept dictation?

Cheers,
 04/28/2022 03:35 AM

Author Icon
Mav
Top-Tier Member

I think meanwhile the verdict is very sound that keeping current Dragon versions in sleep mode vs. turning off the microphone completely while not dictating is the road to desaster and frequent hangs/crashes.

The only thing that came to mind specifically to moving the cursor between screens (if that really was the trigger and not just a coincidence) is the question how your monitors are connected to your machine? Are they both connected to the same graphics card?

I once had a machine where one monitor was attached to the on-board graphics and the other one to a dedicated graphics card, but I wasn't aware of this. This lead to the strange effect that videos would only play when the video player window was located on the right screen. When moving the window to the other screen, this would crash the video player because the different video drivers supported a different set of video codecs

hth

mav

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » Dragon Speech Recognition » DPI crashing

Statistics
32305 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 362 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 362 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2022 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.