Installation Question   - Todd - 04/20/2022 01:09 AM  
 Installation Question   - Stephan Kuepper - 04/20/2022 05:30 AM  
Keyword
 04/17/2022 03:21 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Todd
Advanced Member

Is there a difference between installing Dragon with full administrative rights versus entering administrative credentials when prompted?  When performing an installation for a client, I always request temporary administrative rights be assigned to the user's account.

Recently, an IT department insisted on the latter approach.  After the installation, there were problems launching the program as well as unusual error messages.  With some coaxing, they assigned temporary administrative rights.  I fully uninstalled Dragon and then reinstalled it in the usual manner.  Dragon then ran properly.

Was this a fluke or is there in fact a difference between the two methods?

-------------------------

Todd Kermit
Principal
SpeechWise
todd@speechwise.com

www.speechwise.com

Dragon Professional Individual 15.61, Intel Core i7-10700K, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro, Plantronics CS55/Andrea PureAudio USB-SA

04/17/2022 08:35 AM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Was this a fluke or is there in fact a difference between the two methods?

Yes, there is a major difference. If installed under an administrative account, Dragon will only run while logged into Windows as administrator. Therefore, always install under a user account. Given the user account permisions, you may to need to get administrative privileges temporarily, but only while installing.

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

04/18/2022 02:59 AM

Author Icon
Todd
Advanced Member

Originally posted by: R. Wilke Yes, there is a major difference. If installed under an administrative account, Dragon will only run while logged into Windows as administrator. Therefore, always install under a user account. Given the user account permisions, you may to need to get administrative privileges temporarily, but only while installing.

I appreciate the reply.  To be clear, in both scenarios I am logged into the (standard) user's account.  Without administrative rights, a prompt appears for the admin credentials the moment the installation begins; IT enters the admin name/password and the install continues.  I am trying to determine if the resulting installation proceeds differently than if temporary administrative rights are granted beforehand.

Todd Kermit
Principal
SpeechWise
todd@speechwise.com

www.speechwise.com

Dragon Professional Individual 15.61, Intel Core i7-10700K, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro, Plantronics CS55/Andrea PureAudio USB-SA

04/18/2022 11:08 AM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

I am trying to determine if the resulting installation proceeds differently than if temporary administrative rights are granted beforehand.

I have done it both ways, and there didn't seem to be a difference. Obviously, it doesn't matter how administrative privileges are granted, it is just the account that matters.

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

04/20/2022 01:09 AM

Author Icon
Todd
Advanced Member

I have done it both ways, and there didn't seem to be a difference.

Thank you.  That is helpful information.

Todd Kermit
Principal
SpeechWise
todd@speechwise.com

www.speechwise.com

04/20/2022 05:30 AM

Author Icon
Stephan Kuepper
Top-Tier Member

To set things straight:

- there will be issues if you install Dragon under a Windows User account with elevated rights, entering administrative credentials when prompted.
- there shouldn't be any issues if you grant a Windows user temporary admin rights.

You need an administrator account to install and configure Dragon properly. This should be a local admin, not a domain admin / root admin, because Dragon won't start under a domain admin account (and don't ask me how many times I had to explain this to an administrator, or how long I've been complaining to Nuance about it.)

You should create user profiles under the account that the user will actually work with, so that the user profile is created in the right place. Whether this account has admin rights or not doesn't really matter. However, Dragon has been known to have trouble accessing the user profile if it was created under an admin account and then accessed from an account with user privileges only.

This is for Dragon Group. I don't think it makes much difference for Dragon Individual.

Hope that helps, Stephan

www.egs-vertrieb.de - www.spracherkennungscloud.de

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » Dragon Speech Recognition » Installation Question

Statistics
32305 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 360 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 360 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2022 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.