Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: VoiceComputer vs Vimium vs SpeechStart+
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/19/2022 10:25 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 VoiceComputer vs Vimium vs SpeechStart+   - mareid - 04/19/2022 10:25 AM  
 VoiceComputer vs Vimium vs SpeechStart+   - dilligence - 04/19/2022 11:04 AM  
 VoiceComputer vs Vimium vs SpeechStart+   - Lunis Orcutt - 04/19/2022 12:14 PM  
 VoiceComputer vs Vimium vs SpeechStart+   - Mphillipson - 04/26/2022 02:53 PM  
 VoiceComputer vs Vimium vs SpeechStart+   - kkkwj - 04/30/2022 10:46 PM  
 VoiceComputer vs Vimium vs SpeechStart+   - mareid - 05/05/2022 04:38 PM  
 VoiceComputer vs Vimium vs SpeechStart+   - dilligence - 05/05/2022 08:01 PM  
Keyword
 04/19/2022 10:25 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
mareid
Power Member

I'm looking for advice on which is the best way to interact with the browser. We probably all know the limitations of using Dragon itself, including the fact that it just doesn't work with lots of parts of many webpages. For quite a while I have used SpeechStart+, but it's incredibly tedious having to say "show flags" every time I want to click something. SpeechStart+ is also very slow to display the flags in browsers.

I recently tried VoiceComputer, which has the advantage of making more elements clickable and also remaining visible, so I don't have to invoke it manually. However, like SpeechStart+, it is often very slow to appear. While it generates its "intags", the browser is unresponsive so I can't even click with my mouse. It also crashes frequently and has a variety of other weird behaviours.

I recently tried Vimium, which displays links virtually instantly-- far faster than either VoiceComputer or SpeechStart+--but also has to be invoked manually every time I want to click something and isn't inherently built for speech. Unlike VC or SSP, which allow you to click a link by simply saying the number of the link (e.g. "thirty seven"), with Vimium I have to say a lot more for each link (e.g. "press D <pause> press K"). So, even though Vimium comes up virtually instantly, it's slower to actually click on something.

Does anyone have a gold-standard approach for using a browser without clicking, without excessive voice commands, and at the highest speed possible?

04/19/2022 11:04 AM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

VoiceComputer has (had?) its own Chrome extension which loads automatically and responses quite quickly. I haven't used it for a while, because the default intags now work in every browser (albeit there may be some "doubling" in Firefox). The developers have chosen to slow down the intag re-creating process somewhat in order to tag all elements on a webpage more reliably. I have requested to make that delay configurable by the user.

However, I haven't used it much for browsing recently because I switched to the ClickByVoice web extension, which only takes a handful of voice commands to run. This too is not instantly! Anyway, I can post the DVC voice commands I use for CBV if you like.

But I sometimes use the VC intags in addition to ClickByVoice, that combination basically gives me all the options I need.

About automatically relaunching the SpeechStart+ flags or circles. That can be done with simple voice commands as discussed here:

https://www.knowbrainer.com/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=3&threadid=34924&highlight_key=y&keyword1=speechstart%2B%20HeardWord%20

It shouldn't be too hard to apply this principle to the Vimium hints as well.

-------------------------

https://speechproductivity.eu

Turbocharge your Dragon® productivity with 40 Power Addons

04/19/2022 12:14 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

If you use dilligence's recommendation to add ClickByVoice, which we also recommend, you won't need dilligence's DVC commands because your KnowBrainer 2020 already includes out-of-the-box Artificial Intelligence bookmark commands.

We additionally recommend Microsoft Edge over Google Chrome because Dragon struggles with Chrome and now that Microsoft owns Nuance you can expect better Microsoft Edge support in DPI 16. DPG 15.71 already has better Microsoft Edge support.

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

04/26/2022 02:53 PM

Author Icon
Mphillipson
Top-Tier Member

For when the numbers don't show up or stop working altogether I have a backup plan. I have coordinates stuck to the edge of my monitors and use advanced scripting voice commands to position the mouse where required. It gets me within 50 pixels and when working with large buttons for example gets me there straightaway.

This will work on any visible application and any monitor, no matter what I have as the current screen.

https://github.com/Mark-Phillipson/DragonScripts/wiki/Clicking-Anywhere-on-the-Screen-by-Voice

Thanks Mark

Dragon Professional Advanced Scripting/KnowBrainer Scripts
Video Examples of Coding by Voice

04/30/2022 10:46 PM

Author Icon
kkkwj
Top-Tier Member

When I have a need for mouse clicking by voice, I use a plan based on what Mark taught me. I taped black threads to my monitor (5 horizontal threads and 10 vertical threads) to help me spot the crosshair coordinates. The black threads don't really bother my view of the monitor, and they help my positioning to be more accurate. Like Mark says, you can nail bigger buttons and locations dead on the first time around after some practice. For smaller areas, I sometimes need to take two shots at it. It's rare that I need to use three or four commands. And this method is dead simple - no prefix commands, no software, and no waiting.

Win10/11/x64, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X/3950X, 64/128GB RAM, Dragon 15.3, SP 7 Standard, SpeechStart, Office 365, KB 2017, Dragon Capture, Samson Meteor USB Desk Mic, Amazon YUWAKAYI headset, Klim and JUKSTG earbuds with microphones, 3 BenQ 2560x1440 monitors, Microsoft Sculpt Keyboard and fat mouse

05/05/2022 04:38 PM

Author Icon
mareid
Power Member

Thanks for all of your suggestions, everyone. One thing that mystifies me about Dragon and browsers is that everyone seems to have a different experience with each browser. For me, I get overall best browser compatibility with Firefox. I've never understood why people consistently recommend Chrome or Edge for use with Dragon. At least for the websites I use, both of them seem to have inferior select-and-say capabilities relative to Firefox. Still, having done a little bit more experimentation, it does seem like VoiceComputer is a little bit faster in Chrome than in Firefox.

I will try ClickByVoice. Thanks for the suggestion.
 05/05/2022 08:01 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

Michael,

You are right. Firefox does offer the most Dragon® friendly solution, right out of the box.

I guess it's also a matter of habit (and in my case, laziness to switch account info etc. to another browser ). I've actually grown so accustomed to the ClickByVoice numbers that it almost feels strange to directly speak links in Firefox, duh..

But it's also true that some browsers work better with certain websites and that's why I am spreading my work over several browsers.

By the way, the reason VoiceComputer might be faster in Chrome/Edge is that it has a tendency to "double tag" elements in Firefox. This has always been the case and has to do with the way Firefox displays webpages.

https://speechproductivity.eu

Turbocharge your Dragon® productivity with 40 Power Addons

Statistics
32305 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 472 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 472 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2022 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.