KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Nimbus note editor works with NaturallySpeaking
Topic Summary: Notetaking tool Nimbus notes let you use speech editing
Created On: 04/19/2022 03:34 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Nimbus note editor works with NaturallySpeaking   - esjesjesj - 04/19/2022 03:34 PM  
 Nimbus note editor works with NaturallySpeaking   - Lunis Orcutt - 04/19/2022 04:50 PM  
 Nimbus note editor works with NaturallySpeaking   - esjesjesj - 04/20/2022 04:07 PM  
 Nimbus note editor works with NaturallySpeaking   - twobitrye - 04/24/2022 03:48 PM  
 Nimbus note editor works with NaturallySpeaking   - R. Wilke - 04/24/2022 08:36 PM  
 Nimbus note editor works with NaturallySpeaking   - Lunis Orcutt - 04/24/2022 07:55 PM  
 Nimbus note editor works with NaturallySpeaking   - Matt_Chambers - 05/03/2022 09:41 AM  
 Nimbus note editor works with NaturallySpeaking   - Matt_Chambers - 05/03/2022 02:35 PM  
Keyword
 04/19/2022 03:34 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
esjesjesj

Being a person is perpetually unsatisfied with software tools available was looking around to see if any of the recently developed notetaking apps were good enough to replace, the sometimes annoying, Evernote.

Like many Windows apps, Evernote requires use dictation box to be able to enter text and not much else is speech friendly.

I tried notion, obsidian and a few others and was always disappointed. But for some reason I came back to Nimbus and the new web-based editor is speech friendly (mostly) in that I can dictate and correct by speech. Now there are certain things that don't always work well by speech such as the widget for building tasks list items sorta work in that you can dictate into the widget but you need to type a keystroke character of some sort to make sure the text sticks.

But just being able to dictate and correct notes is wonderful. Give it a try and see what you think. If there are enough of us and vocal, maybe, just maybe we can encourage better support.

Personal subscriptions are free.

04/19/2022 04:50 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

We switched from EverNote to OneNote for some convenience but we are betting on Dragon Ver. 16 will be OneNote friendly and never EverNote friendly. Oddly enough, OneNote is WSR friendly now. What! We know. Now that Microsoft owns Nuance, we suspect Dragon will be friendlier in more applications but we are only guessing. We recommend suffering through OneNote for the time being but if you want Direct Dictation now, consider DragonCapture 

-------------------------

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

04/20/2022 04:07 PM

Author Icon
esjesjesj

One note? Tried it, rejected it. For me, like any product from Microsoft, it is definitely a second-class tool.

Using Evernote or Nimbus, the basic functionality was really easy to pick up and I was able to do a lot of my work without even looking at any documentation. With one note, within 3 to 5 minutes, I had created a tangled mess that required deleting everything and starting over again. I had the experience of "how do I do this thing I used to do in Evernote" so often that  I wondered why I didn't use Evernote.

As for Microsoft never making NaturallySpeaking compatible with Evernote, well I will be very surprised if they don't restrict NaturallySpeaking to only Microsoft applications and lockout the ability of the disabled person to control their environment and use any application.

04/24/2022 03:48 PM

Author Icon
twobitrye

I'm actually a huge fan of Obsidian (switched my entire workflow to run through Obsidian after years of Evernote), but there's one thing I don't understand. I'm using DPI 15.61 and DragonCapture 1.0.3698, and sometimes dictation works wonderfully in Obsidian, and other times there's an issue where any pause in speech leads to no space and capitalizing the first letter.

For example, if I said "I am testing" *pause* "whether Dragon works in Obsidian," about half the time it'll write out as "I am testing whether Dragon works in Obsidian" and the rest of the time it'll write out as "I am testingWhether Dragons works in Obsidian."

Restarting doesn't seem to fix it, and I cannot figure out how to make it consistently work properly. Anyone have any suggestions?
 04/24/2022 08:36 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

For example, if I said "I am testing" *pause* "whether Dragon works in Obsidian," about half the time it'll write out as "I am testing whether Dragon works in Obsidian" and the rest of the time it'll write out as "I am testingWhether Dragons works in Obsidian."

This should only happen if you haven't just paused, but also changed focus between the two utterances. If you didn't, it seems like DragonCapture erroneously thinks that you did so for some reason. If that's the case I couldn't say why it does that, but at least not by design. Try toggling AutoPaste for a change.

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

04/24/2022 07:55 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Try changing DragonCapture's default TypeMode setting from 3 to 2. The default setting imight be a little too fast for Obsidian

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

05/03/2022 09:41 AM

Author Icon
Matt_Chambers
Top-Tier Member

This is interesting, but I don't find that Nimbus Notes works with Dragon. That is, I can't dictate into the note editor – I have to use the dictation box.

Did you have to edit the nsapps.ini file to get it to work with Dragon?

05/03/2022 02:35 PM

Author Icon
Matt_Chambers
Top-Tier Member

I did a little more checking and could not get Select-and-Say working in Nimbus. I had the same results in Joplin, another notes program.

When I checked on the Window type for each program, using Windows Detective, I learned that both Nimbus and Joplin have this kind of window: Chrome_WidgetWin_1. This is the same kind of window Microsoft Edge house. I think this means that both programs, like Microsoft Edge, Brave, and a bunch of other browsers, are based on or using the open source Chromium engine. Unfortunately, unlike Chrome, Edge, and Brave, there doesn't seem to be any way to use the Chrome add-in to enable Dragon to function properly.

Of course, one can use the Dictation Box, DragonCapture, or one of several Dictation Box alternatives, but I was hoping to work correctly in the programs themselves.

If anybody here has figured out how to do this, please let me know.
Statistics
32305 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 376 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 376 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2022 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.