KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Dragon stalls out while using Windows Explorer
Topic Summary: I'm not even able to navigate my file system now
Created On: 04/24/2022 12:45 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Dragon stalls out while using Windows Explorer   - Ghost - 04/24/2022 12:45 PM  
 Dragon stalls out while using Windows Explorer   - Alan Cantor - 04/24/2022 01:47 PM  
 Dragon stalls out while using Windows Explorer   - dilligence - 04/24/2022 03:03 PM  
 Dragon stalls out while using Windows Explorer   - Lunis Orcutt - 04/24/2022 06:50 PM  
 Dragon stalls out while using Windows Explorer   - dilligence - 04/24/2022 07:22 PM  
 Dragon stalls out while using Windows Explorer   - Lunis Orcutt - 04/24/2022 01:51 PM  
 Dragon stalls out while using Windows Explorer   - Alan Cantor - 04/25/2022 10:55 AM  
 Dragon stalls out while using Windows Explorer   - Edgar - 04/26/2022 10:20 AM  
 Dragon stalls out while using Windows Explorer   - kkkwj - 04/30/2022 10:52 PM  
 Dragon stalls out while using Windows Explorer   - Edgar - 05/01/2022 09:41 AM  
Keyword
 04/24/2022 12:45 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Ghost

I was having an issue the other day that I posted about: Dragon freezing on me on certain websites. Now Dragon freezes on me at certain times while using certain applications including Windows file Explorer.

I'm almost wondering if this could be related to something with picture files. The first time I noticed it was when I was going to a folder with a bunch of family pictures. Dragon just stalled out on me and wouldn't respond for a few minutes. There are certain folders that cause Dragon to stall every time I visit them seems. I was just looking through my downloads and it wasn't stalling much or anything. It might have been a little slow. But when I got down to JPEG files and opened one of them, it started calling really bad.

I am paralyzed below the shoulders, but I have enough arm movement to smash the keyboard and attempt to use the trackpad somewhat, so sometimes when it stalls I'm able to change the window, and when I do that, it usually stops stalling immediately. It stalls really bad sometimes just when using the default photo viewer for windows, whatever it's called.

It is incredibly frustrating not being able to navigate my file system reliably, as I entirely depend on Dragon to use my computer. And right now, using my computer is virtually all that I can do.

-------------------------
Forrest Phillips
 04/24/2022 01:47 PM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

I wonder whether changing view settings in Windows File Explorer might reduce the likelihood of Dragon freezes.

I choose "List" or "Details" view because these settings allow me to see more folder and file names in the window. As a result, File Explorer doesn't load images or thumbnails.

Although it's convenient to be able to preview images without the need to open files, if changing this setting prevents Dragon from freezing, that might be a far greater convenience!
 04/24/2022 03:03 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

Alan, or anyone else,

Do you know a way to make List view the default view in Windows Explorer? It always has a tendency to revert back to Details view, and particularly if you create a new folder.

I keep on issuing the Alt+v+l to get List view. Perhaps someone knows a registry hack?

https://speechproductivity.eu

Turbocharge your Dragon® productivity with 40 Power Addons

04/24/2022 06:50 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

The File Explorer in Windows 10/11 is supposed to remember your last setting so if you change your View to List, Windows should remember your preference the next time you open it. We use Details and have never have to change it back from something else. In other words, the process should be automatic. Having said that, we did experience this problem in an early release of Windows 10. We just assumed it was a bug that Microsoft fixed in an update.

The only thing we can think of is a 3rd party File Explorer helper utility that is interfering with this process

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

04/24/2022 07:22 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

I'm using Windows 11, but the same thing happened in Windows 10. Even though I set the view to "List", after a while "Details" view is spontaneously being restored (because it has become the default view in Windows).

Furthermore, "view" is a per folder setting, not a global Explorer setting. At least that's how it behaves on my system. It's a hassle for me having to modify the view in every new folder I create.

There is a way in File Explorer Options to match the view of the currently open folder to "all folders of this type" but that's not really working...(not for all Explorer folders anyway).

The reason I solely want to use List view is that I'm using 125% scaling in regular HD resolution, with a larger menu font. Details view takes too much screen estate.

https://speechproductivity.eu

Turbocharge your Dragon® productivity with 40 Power Addons

04/24/2022 01:51 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

You can use your SpeechStart+ utility to force Dragon and KnowBrainer to close and reopen but we suspect your user profile is bloated and you haven't addressed the 28 sand traps; detailed in the KnowBrainer Dragon Installation & Training Guide.

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

04/25/2022 10:55 AM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

For as long as I can recall, File Explorer (formerly known as Windows Explorer) has inconsistently remembered view settings.

There are built-in hotkeys to change the view:

Shift + Ctrl + [1-9]

Shift + Ctrl + 4 (and Shift + Ctrl + 5) are slight different List views. Shift + Ctrl + 6 is Detail view.

04/26/2022 10:20 AM

Author Icon
Edgar
Top-Tier Member

I think that the keyboard shortcuts might have changed slightly. This is the working part of one of my functions:

Select Case listVariable

Case "Extra Large"

SendKeys "+^1", 1

Case "Large"

SendKeys "+^2", 1

Case "Medium"

SendKeys "+^3", 1

Case "Small"

SendKeys "+^4", 1

Case "List"

SendKeys "+^5", 1

Case "Details"

SendKeys "+^6", 1

Case "Tiles"

SendKeys "+^7", 1

Case "Content"

SendKeys "+^8", 1

Case "Sort Dialog"

SendKeys "o", 1

Case "Group Dialog"

SendKeys "g", 1

Case "Details Dialog"' select columns… (Only works in Detail Mode)

SendKeys "a", 1

Case "Autosize Columns"

SendKeys "sf", 1

Case "Navigation Pane"

SendKeys "n", 1

Case "Preview Pane"

SendKeys "p", 1

Case "Details Pane"

SendKeys "d", 1

End Select

I cannot get "<control>+<shift>+9" to do anything. The item starting with "Sort Dialog" are only usable when the View menu is expanded and after saying "press alternate" to display the built-in shortcuts.

-Edgar
DPI 15.3, 64-bit Windows 10 Pro, OpenOffice & Office 365, Norton Security, Shure X2U XLR to USB mic adapter with Audio Technica DB135 vocal mic, Asus X299-Deluxe Prime, Intel Core i9-7940X (14 core, 4.3 GHz overclocked to 4.9 GHz), G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3333 (PC4 26600) F4-3333C16Q-64GTZ, NVIDIA GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 GV-N1060G1 GAMING-6GD REV 2.0 6GB graphics card with 3 1920x1080 monitors

04/30/2022 10:52 PM

Author Icon
kkkwj
Top-Tier Member

Reading stuff like this thread makes me think (once again) that voice users really need a decent file manager app. I've been thinking this way for years, but it's a pretty big dev project without much revenue on the horizon. Oh well. Maybe one day. There seem to be other voice-oriented dev problems that are more significant or more accessible. But I admit that I wish for a voice file manager every day in my workflow. I especially would like a file manager that would save attachments from Outlook to a folder and then switch the file manager to the foreground, in that folder. I had a cumbersome mouse sequence to do all that, but it was not a smooth process and so does not get used much.

Win10/11/x64, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X/3950X, 64/128GB RAM, Dragon 15.3, SP 7 Standard, SpeechStart, Office 365, KB 2017, Dragon Capture, Samson Meteor USB Desk Mic, Amazon YUWAKAYI headset, Klim and JUKSTG earbuds with microphones, 3 BenQ 2560x1440 monitors, Microsoft Sculpt Keyboard and fat mouse

05/01/2022 09:41 AM

Author Icon
Edgar
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: kkkwj voice users really need a decent file manager app

I'm not sure, but I think it was back when Windows 8 came out that the Windows® file manager app (File Explorer) moved to the ribbon interface. That's when it started getting much more difficult to navigate by voice. At that time I looked around for viable alternatives and found Explorer++ - public domain and open source; although development was very slow, it was still slightly active and had an active forum.

At the time it had lots of bugs, lots of stubbed off (unfinished) code and was noticeably slower to launch than File Explorer. However, being menu-driven (no ribbon, few buttons) it was fairly easy to drive by voice. I spent three years fixing bugs and completing the stubbed off methods. I also made it completely capable of doing everything that File Explorer could do plus a lot more. I also made it completely drivable by voice - every item had keyboard accelerators and all menu items had keyboard shortcuts. Navigating between the address bar and the file/folder display panel was easy by voice.

Unfortunately, it is now noticeably much slower to launch than File Explorer - so much so that I rarely use it unless I am doing lots of file work we need some of the features which are completely unavailable to File Explorer.

The application is in my dropbox at:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ut0tem2pd79m2gq/Explorer%2B%2Bapp%2816Oct20%29.zip?dl=0

the Visual Studio solution is in my dropbox at:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/otjt9inx7w5uvly/Explorer%2B%2Bsolution%2816Oct20%29.zip?dl=0

-Edgar
DPI 15.3, 64-bit Windows 10 Pro, OpenOffice & Office 365, Norton Security, Shure X2U XLR to USB mic adapter with Audio Technica DB135 vocal mic, Asus X299-Deluxe Prime, Intel Core i9-7940X (14 core, 4.3 GHz overclocked to 4.9 GHz), G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3333 (PC4 26600) F4-3333C16Q-64GTZ, NVIDIA GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 GV-N1060G1 GAMING-6GD REV 2.0 6GB graphics card with 3 1920x1080 monitors

Statistics
32305 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 370 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 370 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2022 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.