KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Dragon with Timeslips, looking for workaround or solution
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/05/2022 06:32 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Dragon with Timeslips, looking for workaround or solution   - BDRogers - 05/05/2022 06:32 PM  
 Dragon with Timeslips, looking for workaround or solution   - Scribe - 05/05/2022 06:49 PM  
 Dragon with Timeslips, looking for workaround or solution   - dilligence - 05/05/2022 07:39 PM  
 Dragon with Timeslips, looking for workaround or solution   - Lunis Orcutt - 05/05/2022 08:51 PM  
Keyword
 05/05/2022 06:32 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
BDRogers

I have a client who has an older version of Timeslips, but the most recent version of Dragon (just purchased).  When he tries to dictate to the description field, the text goes in, but the cursor returns to the beginning of the field if he pauses even for a second.  It will put the first few words in, then move the cursor back to the beginning and add more words.  Which pretty much makes it impossible to use.  

I've tried dictating into the Dragon app and then transferring, but then the app window disappears.  WTH?  If you want to use that app to dictate into, why does is disappear after you hit transfer?  Shouldn't it stay up?  Am I missing something?

I realize this is a rare program.  Has anyone had this issue with another program? Is there a workaround? 

My client will have use of one hand (his non-dominant hand) coming up.  And he will need to use this program.  Hitting transfer will be an option for him.  

Thank you.  

05/05/2022 06:49 PM

Scribe
Top-Tier Member

You might try to dictating into Notepad or DragonPad, selecting what you have dictated, switching back to Timeslips by saying Press Alt Tab, and then either saying Paste That or Press Control Victor. It's a cludgy method, but it might work. I expect others will weigh in with more sophisticated solutions.

-------------------------

The woman who dueled with Aaron Burr and won: www.MmeJumel.com

Crohn's News Blog: www.crohns-news.net

05/05/2022 07:39 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

It is extremely rare but I've experienced this behavior with the Dragon® dictation box in a CMD replacement and in one specific Windows app (forgot the names of these applications).  

It may have to do with the way the Dragon® dictation box works. It attaches itself to the target application, becoming sort of a "child window" making the target temporarily inaccessible until you hit the Transfer button. That method usually makes transfers very solid. 

However, I found that with some applications, particularly those that use some kind of virtualization (emulators and such) it loses connection upon transfer, or it might actually transfer but the insertion point of the target changes, or loses focus. Note: depending on your Dragon® dictation box settings your contents might still be on the clipboard.

The method Scribe suggests might work, but it's somewhat clunky. Besides, Notepad has become problematic for Dragon® users in Windows 11. DragonPad® could be an alternative, but it's a little bit slower.

You might be interested in Auto Box© a lightning fast dictation box that operates via a totally different principal. It most likely will work properly with Timeslips.

Auto Box© allows dictation with full Select-and-Say control while skipping the mandatory "Transfer" step, because it transfers automatically upon detection of punctuation marks. Of course it also has the option to transfer your dictation manually, along with various other Transfer modes.

https://speechproductivity.eu

Turbocharge your Dragon® productivity with 40 Power Addons

05/05/2022 08:51 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Welcome (See Mission Statement)

We are not certain but have a few of ideas. You'll find 30 day trials of several Dragon related utilities in our signature tag (at the bottom of this message). We recommend checking out DragonCapture which will allow you to directly dictate into any application by converting your dictation into simulating typing. In other words if you can type into it you can directly dictate via DragonCapture.

We are not big fans of Dragon's Dictation Box but it also includes a little-known Simulate Keystrokes option. Instead of transferring all of your text as the default chunk (like copying and pasting with Windows paste feature), you can change the behavior to Simulate Keystrokes via the following: 

1. Open the Dictation Box

2. Click the little gear (by the?) in the upper right corner

3. Put a checkmark in Simulate keystrokes

Change "No" to "Know" w/KnowBrainer 2020
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ex 1

Statistics
32305 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 473 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 473 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2022 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.