KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: DragonPad and Dictation Box
Topic Summary: What is the difference between DragonPad and Dictation Box?
Created On: 02/24/2010 03:31 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 DragonPad and Dictation Box   - Tiger Feet - 02/24/2010 03:31 PM  
 DragonPad and Dictation Box   - Chucker - 02/24/2010 03:39 PM  
 DragonPad and Dictation Box   - R. Wilke - 02/24/2010 04:17 PM  
 DragonPad and Dictation Box   - Chucker - 02/24/2010 04:33 PM  
 DragonPad and Dictation Box   - Tiger Feet - 02/24/2010 05:17 PM  
 DragonPad and Dictation Box   - Chucker - 02/24/2010 06:43 PM  
 DragonPad and Dictation Box   - Lunis Orcutt - 02/24/2010 10:43 PM  
 DragonPad and Dictation Box   - Tiger Feet - 02/25/2010 07:58 AM  
 DragonPad and Dictation Box   - Lunis Orcutt - 02/25/2010 10:52 AM  
 DragonPad and Dictation Box   - R. Wilke - 02/26/2010 06:22 AM  
 DragonPad and Dictation Box   - Tiger Feet - 03/02/2010 09:06 AM  
 a note of thanks - Dictation Box   - DEBRADEW - 11/12/2020 04:58 PM  
 DragonPad and Dictation Box   - Tiger Feet - 11/15/2020 01:37 PM  
Keyword
 02/24/2010 03:31 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Tiger Feet
Top-Tier Member

I know I could very easily do some research and find out the answer to this, but hey, it is probably just as quick to ask in here.

You can dictate into both of them, I know this and DragonPad looks like another version of WordPad but do DragonPad and the dictation box perform different functions in some way?

I mean, where would you use one over the other and what is each of their real purposes?

Cheers ;-)

-------------------------

Tiger Feet

| DPG 15.61 | KnowBrainer 2017 | Windows 10 Professional /64 Bit | Intel® Core™ i9 Ten-Core Processor i9-10900K (3.7GHz) 20MB Cache |  32GB RAM. | 250GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe SSD (up to 3500MB/R, 2300MB/W) Boot Drive | 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe SSD (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W) Storage Drive | Sennheiser D10 USB Wireless Microphone

02/24/2010 03:39 PM

Author Icon
Chucker
Top-Tier Member

Tiger Feet,

Yes, they are different.  DragonPad uses basically Microsoft Word (Doc) and/or RTF (Rich Text), along with plain ASCII text (*.txt) formats.  By default, DragonPad uses RTF, which allows you to bold, underline, etc. ad infinitum including some commands that are not accessible in the dictation box.  The dictation box is purely for the purpose of providing Select-and-Say capability and some basic commands, but it lacks the breadth and depth of DragonPad.  In addition, DragonPad has features supported only in the Professional versions that neither the dictation box nor WordPad have.  So, yes there is a difference and the difference can be quite significant under certain conditions.

Chuck Runquist
Technical Project Manager
VoiceTeach LLC

"My grandfather once told me that there are two kinds of people, those who work and those who take the credit. He told me to try to be in the first group; there was less competition there." -- Indira Gandhi (1917-1984)

VoiceComputer: the only global speech interface.

The views, thoughts and opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect those of VoiceTeach LLC.

Chuck Runquist
VoiceComputer technical support

02/24/2010 04:17 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Chuck & Tiger feet,

I think the most crucial difference hasn't yet been mentioned, you can use DragonPad to save, reopen and edit files in full functionality, which makes it a fully functional wordprocessing editor. In my job, where there is just production of texts in large amounts involved for me, while all the formatting and sort of things are delegated to the "style department", I use it for almost 95% of my dictation. It is good enough for me, all I have to concentrate on is the text that I am dictating, and it has a very small footprint.

Rüdiger

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

02/24/2010 04:33 PM

Author Icon
Chucker
Top-Tier Member

Rüdiger,

I keep forgetting that you folks don't have access to the same dictation box that's available in DNS 10.1 Medical.  If you had Medical, you would find the dictation box much more suitable to what you're doing (i.e., not being concerned with formatting).  On the other hand, one of the problems with the dictation box vs. DragonPad is that when you're using the dictation box in any other version of DNS aside from DNS 10-10.1 Medical, the dictation box is locked to your current application window, which makes the dictation box limited in terms of practical use under some conditions.  In this case, DragonPad is much better supported whether or not formatting is an issue.

What I do like about WordPad in Windows 7 is that it is a much more robust application and more closely approximates Microsoft Word, being fully Select-and-Say enabled along with some of the Natural Language Command bells and whistles.  In Windows 7, I use WordPad regularly because of this.  WordPad in Windows 7 is much more robust and even some of the Microsoft Word Natural Language Commands work.

Nevertheless, DragonPad has much more functionality relative to what you can do with it and DNS than anything except Microsoft Word, does have a smaller footprint as Rüdiger points out, does have extra features for Professional version users, and is generally better supported as far as DNS commands are concerned.  One additional feature is DragonPad documents don't have a lot of excessive underlying formatting as is the case with Microsoft Word.  Yes, the formatting is there but it is less obtrusive.

Chuck Runquist
VoiceTeach LLC

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -- Aldous Huxley

The views, thoughts and opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect those of VoiceTeach LLC.

Chuck Runquist

02/24/2010 05:17 PM

Author Icon
Tiger Feet
Top-Tier Member

Ah I see now. Very different indeed.In DragonPad, if you save the document, where does it get saved to? I mean if you want to pull it out again and edit it.I tried out the dictation box while I was in Microsoft Office Word 2007. Funny thing is, when I clicked on 'Transfer', it did not transfer all the text into Microsoft Office Word 2007. Instead the page changed to a completely different application where text could not be put in.When I had the dictation box open above a 'Post Reply' in the KnowBrainer forums, when I said "Transfer" that time, instead where I thought it would go and that is into the message text window, the application changed again and all the text went into Microsoft Office Word 2007. Very strange! I know I can cut and paste it and do it that way but how do you work it so that when you click 'Transfer', the text all goes into the application you have open at the time?Do I need to change something in the settings within the dictation box for this to happen?Cheers

Tiger Feet

| DPG 15.61 | KnowBrainer 2017 | Windows 10 Professional /64 Bit | Intel® Core™ i9 Ten-Core Processor i9-10900K (3.7GHz) 20MB Cache |  32GB RAM. | 250GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe SSD (up to 3500MB/R, 2300MB/W) Boot Drive | 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe SSD (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W) Storage Drive | Sennheiser D10 USB Wireless Microphone

02/24/2010 06:43 PM

Author Icon
Chucker
Top-Tier Member

Quote:
In DragonPad, if you save the document, where does it get saved to? I mean if you want to pull it out again and edit it.

I tried out the dictation box while I was in Microsoft Office Word 2007. Funny thing is, when I clicked on 'Transfer', it did not transfer all the text into Microsoft Office Word 2007. Instead the page changed to a completely different application where text could not be put in.

When I had the dictation box open above a 'Post Reply' in the KnowBrainer forums, when I said "Transfer" that time, instead where I thought it would go and that is into the message text window, the application changed again and all the text went into Microsoft Office Word 2007. Very strange!

I know I can cut and paste it and do it that way but how do you work it so that when you click 'Transfer', the text all goes into the application you have open at the time?

Do I need to change something in the settings within the dictation box for this to happen?

Tiger Feet,

This is certainly unusual behavior for the dictation box. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is whether or not you open the dictation box in one application and tried to transfer the contents to another. The dictation box is hooked to the application that was in focus at the time that you open the dictation box. You shouldn't be able to move away from that application until you click the transfer button or say "transfer".

Perhaps it would be easier to understand the behavior that is occurring on your system if you would describe in detail, step-by-step exactly what you do and exactly what happens.

On the other hand, what are the settings when you open the dictation box settings from within the dictation box?

Something is either wrong with the dictation box itself or you're not describing the exact step-by-step behavior sufficiently or precisely. Even though I use other versions besides DNS 10.1 Medical, I've never seen the behavior that you're experiencing in either DNS 10.1 Professional or DNS 10.1 Preferred, or DNS 10.1 Legal for that matter, all of which perform exactly the same. Only DNS 10.1 Medical has a completely different functionality, which allows the user to open the dictation box anywhere and transfer the text contained therein to any other open window by simply placing the cursor in that window and saying "transfer text". Unfortunately, that's not possible with any version other than DNS 10.1 Medical.

Regardless, I'm simply waiting for a little more detail, but I will try testing it myself on my laptop with DNS 10.1 Preferred just to see if there's anything that I'm missing that might be obvious under that condition and which I may be missing by not using it all the time with versions other than DNS 10.1 Medical.

Have you tried running it Repair (Windows Control Panel, Programs and Features)?  If not, try it and see if that makes a difference.

Chuck Runquist
VoiceTeach LLC

The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

PS, not a criticism just a simple request.  Whatever you transferred the text from in your previous post made the text so small that us blind folks find it hard to read (tiny, tiny, tiny)

Chuck Runquist

02/24/2010 10:43 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Quote:
Something is either wrong with the dictation box itself or you're not describing the exact step-by-step behavior sufficiently or precisely.

Actually... there's another possibility. It would appear that Tiger Feet is using KnowBrainer which includes a Transfer command that utilizes NotePad. We wanted another option for the standard DNS Dictation Box and we noted that a number of our customers have rather strong opinions about the new medical Dictation Box which seems to go both ways; some love it, some hate it. If you prefer using the DNS Dictation Box rather than Notepad, you should remove the checkmark from the Activate box or delete/rename this command which you'll find in the KnowBrainer system.dvc (global commands).

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

02/25/2010 07:58 AM

Author Icon
Tiger Feet
Top-Tier Member

I answered my first question myself. The DragonPad documents can be saved in "My Documents" or anywhere really.

Quote:
Perhaps it would be easier to understand the behavior that is occurring on your system if you would describe in detail, step-by-step exactly what you do and exactly what happens.

Here is a simplified example of what happens as in a step-by-step guide.

Say for example I have two applications open. Notepad and Microsoft Office Word 2007. Say Microsoft Office Word 2007 is up on the screen and the dictation box is on top of that. I do all the dictation in there first and when I hit the 'Transfer' button instead of all the text going into Word, where I assume it should go, the screen will flash momentarily and all of the text will go into Notepad, which is the application that is not up on screen at the time.

Now if I reverse that and have Notepad up on the screen and the dictation box on top of that.  When I have finished dictating in the dictation box and hit the 'Transfer' button, the screen flashes again then all the text will go into Word, which is not the application up on screen at the time and directly behind the dictation box itself.

So to broaden that, if I had multiple applications up on screen at the same time, the text from the dictation box when transferred seems to want to be applied in the application directly behind the one on screen. Surely this must be able to be resolved in the dictation box's settings? 

Quote:
On the other hand, what are the settings when you open the dictation box settings from within the dictation box?

Below is a screenshot showing you the settings within the dictation box.

Quote:
remove the checkmark from the Activate box or delete/rename this command which you'll find in the KnowBrainer system.dvc (global commands).

Where will I find and how do I get to the "Activate box"?

By removing the checkmark how will this affect Notepad?   I still wish to keep Notepad in any shape or form it is just the dictation box is handy for putting text down first and then transferring it.

Tiger Feet

02/25/2010 10:52 AM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Do you experience the same issue if you close KnowBrainer? If you do, we would recommend a Repair of NaturallySpeaking or simply switching to the KnowBrainer commands which utilize Notepad. Our personal preference is to use notepad of the Dictation Box is specifically designed for this purpose and should work.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

02/26/2010 06:22 AM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Quote:
So to broaden that, if I had multiple applications up on screen at the same time, the text from the dictation box when transferred seems to want to be applied in the application directly behind the one on screen. Surely this must be able to be resolved in the dictation box's settings?

Tiger Feet,

no, there is no setting in the options for the Dictation Box to control where the text dictated in there is to go to after executing the transfer function, by default, this will be at the current cursor position prior to opening the Dictation Box, and there is nothing you could do about in the Pro version. I have also tested the scenario that you have described with both Word and Notepad open, but just one of them having focus at a time, of course, and for me it works the way it should. So, either there is something wrong with your install, or you are doing something wrong.

Besides, I would recommend putting a checkmark in "Keep transferred text in clipboard...", because that can save you a lot of bothering at times when things go wrong.

Rüdiger

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

03/02/2010 09:06 AM

Author Icon
Tiger Feet
Top-Tier Member

Quote:
Besides, I would recommend putting a checkmark in "Keep transferred text in clipboard...", because that can save you a lot of bothering at times when things go wrong.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you guys. I have done the above anyway.

I haven't tried Lunis' experiment because it doesn't matter anyway and it is no big deal. Instead of clicking on the ‘Transfer’ button, I can just as easily cut & paste it in. You are also right. Using the DragonPad is better.

Thanks for all your help

Tiger Feet

11/12/2020 04:58 PM

Author Icon
DEBRADEW

I'm utilizing and learning today from an inquiry made 14 years ago… I get just about all my good answers from KnowBrainer topics already answered.

Just wanted to say how much appreciation so many people must have for that effort y'all put into answering questions.  You are positively the best resource I've ever found since the 90s pertaining to using Dragon.  & So many of us have no other options because we are handicapped.  I write, and about you guys might just not be possible.

Debra Scruggs-formerly a homeschooling mother of nine, general aviation pilot -currently a quadriplegic in a nursing home for 15 years from multiple sclerosis caused from being vaccinated 

former owner of Jupiter ice company in Jupiter Florida and ice machine rentals; homeschooling family

11/15/2020 01:37 PM

Author Icon
Tiger Feet
Top-Tier Member

My God Debra, that takes me back! You'll learn a lot about Dragon in here as everybody is very helpful. 

Hmmm... Methinks this is a cue for Rob (Diligence) to pop his head up for this one.  

Cheers.

Tiger Feet

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » Dragon Speech Recognition » DragonPad and Dictation Box

Statistics
31891 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 598 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 598 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.