Created On: 04/04/2016 02:20 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Keyword
 04/04/2016 02:20 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
smothy

Dears,

I need to set up and get working Dragon naturallyspeaking 13 Professional together with a Pro Shotgun Microfon and the Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 Monitor for a totally handicaped man.

Once I set it up all together it worked and at the time I´ve been to the customer - it didn´t work.

From my side I already tried everything - re-installed Software and Driver(s) also re-installed Windows 7 without success

Has anybody a solution to get this working with that compination of Hard-/Software ?

Or as I already saw - this might work only with DNS 12.5 - is that true ?

Thanks in advance for any help and solution

Kind regards

04/04/2016 10:22 AM

Nelson
Top-Tier Member

In DNS 13, Nuance changed the compatibility with audio interfaces that were not purely USB devices.  In other words, if the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is a line–in device, DNS 13 will not recognize it as a sound source.  The only solution is to apply a work–around solution that involves connecting through the auxiliary output ports.  However, it seems from your description this can be ruled out since dictation worked for you.  If this was the case, DNS would have recognized the audio interface as a compatible sound source when creating the profile. Accordingly, I would check your microphone and sound source settings.  Sometimes these can be assigned default settings improperly. The default audio interface should be listed as a USB sound device in order for the audio interface to work.

-------------------------

DPI 15.3, Knowbrainer, VoiceComputer, Lenovo Thinkpad P50, Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon, Sennheiser MD 431 II, Microtech Gefell MD 300 and Sound Devices USBpre 2.

04/04/2016 11:45 AM

Author Icon
smothy

Dear,

thanks so far for your reply.
But, as far as I mentioned that it worked - true but after re-installation etc. I doesn´t work anymore. No possibility to set up a user or anything else because of the missing source of microphone.
Hope it understood it well regarding auxiliary output ports - because focusrite 2i2 has none of them.
only USB port ( which I connected to the computer ) and two line output ports for speakers.

Microphone is working perfectly if I am using Windows own recognition of speech function but not with Dragon Pro 13.

thanks

this is the focusrite I am using

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/focusrite-scarlett-2i2-usb-audio-interface

and the microphone
http://www.thomann.de/de/the_tbone_em9900.htm

04/04/2016 02:55 PM

Nelson
Top-Tier Member

If the Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 is not compatible with DNS 13 it will remain greyed–out.  If it is compatible it shows up as "microphone: USB Audio Device".  To check the status of the audio interface go into profile–manage dictation source.  This will tell you whether the interface is being recognized a USB Device or not.  A number of these devices despite being USB devices are treated by DNS as line–in devices, which are not compatible with DNS 13.

DPI 15.3, Knowbrainer, VoiceComputer, Lenovo Thinkpad P50, Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon, Sennheiser MD 431 II, Microtech Gefell MD 300 and Sound Devices USBpre 2.

04/04/2016 09:31 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Unfortunately, attempting to mix music hardware with speech recognition doesn't always work. We've also run into situations where musicians try to use studio quality sound cards that don't sample low enough for speech recognition. We believe this is 1 of those situations where you're going to need to add an inexpensive but dedicated USB soundcard & appropriate speech recognition microphone

PS: Your physically disabled friend is most likely approved for a complimentary license for our KnowBrainer Professional 2016 command utility. If you send proof of disability to Support@KnowBrainer.com, we will send a download of KnowBrainer Professional to your friend. You'll find additional information in our signature tag.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

04/05/2016 01:54 AM

Author Icon
smothy

Dears,

thanks so far - with the visibility or shown up as a USB Device - unfortunately it´s not working - only shows me within Dragon the Scarlet 2i2 but not as a microphone.
Regarding the good and compatible microphone it´s quite difficult because of the distance from the bed and the TV/Computer in the room of the handicaped man.

The distance is about 3-4 meters - therefor I would need a high sensible microphone to bridge the distance.
Dragon so far seems to be the best speech recognition software but the problem is to find the microphone.
There is absolutly no chance to have a headset or anything else like that because the man should start the computer and software by himselfe to a time whenever he wants without calling for help.

I also thought about a wireless Microphone ( to put close to the bed ) but seems also not possible or find a compatible one.

As well, thanks Lunis for your offer regarding the knowbrainer Pro, but guess would not be working because the man lives in germany as well the documents would be in german and don´t know if your software has the ability for multilanguage.

04/05/2016 10:47 AM

Nelson
Top-Tier Member

smothy,

It has been my experience that when using an audio interface, the microphone itself does not show up.  In my instance, regardless of the microphone used, it shows up as USBPre 2, which is my default sound source.  I suspect the same thing would occur with the Focusrite 2i2.  As suggested by Lunis, using a sound pod may be your solution.  It, at the very least, will confirm whether a compatibility problem arises from the use of this audio interface.

In terms of the microphone, if you are seeking to have this microphone work from 3 to 4 metres (9 to 13 feet) this will be a challenge, if not impossible, for speech dictation. Even using a shotgun microphone with high sensitivity and adjustable gain on the audio interface will not give you the desired distance for dictation that is accurate. In my instance, I have a number of far field microphones that are considered the best in their class.  There is not one that could be used effectively to dictate from that distance, even if the far field algorithm was deployed.  The furthest distance, without losing too much accuracy is about ½ metre (20 inches).  If the dictation distance remains as noted, another solution would need to be looked at.

04/05/2016 01:39 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

As Nelson noted, Windows (which passes the information to Dragon) cannot detect what type of microphone you are using; only whatever is plugged into the USB port, i.e. your soundcard.

Drat! You are correct about KnowBrainer Professional. It's only available in English.

As Nelson also noted, other than using Dragon in Command Mode only, you cannot use NaturallySpeaking for dictation over anywhere near this much distance. From that distance, Dragon may not even work well in Command Mode. A wireless microphones is 1 option but you might want to also check out the new SpeechWare TwistMike Gooseneck which can probably be mounted to your clients bed (especially if it has rails). This is precisely what the TwistMike was designed for. You can then run several meters of audio cable to the USB soundcard but the SpeechWare SpeechMatic MultiAdapter (USB soundcard) includes auto gain control which will allow your client to increase his distance from the microphone; probably by as much as 20 inches.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

04/05/2016 03:39 PM

Author Icon
smothy

Dears,

many many thanks for your great help and advices on my special case. I really appreciate your effort.

I will check with the suggestion to use the TwistMike Gooseneck - if this is compatible with DNS - or can you confirm this already ?
However - I or my customer would have still the "problem" with the additional long USB cable which is needed in order the twistMike - to connect to the computer - ( 9 to 13 feet far )
Not possible to lay in the special-care home room. only way would be then to have a ( appr. 10 - 15 meter / 32 - 50 feet ) USB cable ( or adapter cable ).

I will see what I can do or the man can accept.

But again - thank you so much for your awesome help.

Hope - if any additional question coming up - you allow me to ask you.

thanks
 04/05/2016 06:00 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Our website ONLY carries microphones that we have tested and approved for speech recognition. You won't find any nonspeech recognition microphones on our website. In the case of the TwistMike, it was specifically designed for Dragon and we are 1 of those designers.

A long USB cable sounds like the hard way of doing it. This is why we didn't make that recommendation. Try connecting your USB Pod directly to the computer, across the room and simply using an inexpensive 50 foot audio extension cable to run from the end of the TwistMike to the USB Pod. An audio cable that goes beyond 15 feet is typically not recommended but we have gotten away with a 50 foot cable in the past. Don't forget to secure the cable in case someone trips over it.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

01/14/2021 10:46 AM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

The Scarlett Focusrite company has asked us to post the following information which they hope will add some clarification:

On Windows 10 in Nuance Dragon Naturally Speaking Individual Professional 15.6.1 the Scarlett Focusrite 2i2 3rd gen can be used just as any other USB mic as long as one sticks with the standard drives. As soon as the Focusrite USB-drivers and control app are installed, the errors occur.
[With the standard drivers audio data is always transmitted in 2 channels (i.e. a mic in slot 1 only fills the left channel, a mic in slot 2 only the right channel). I hate that for video conferences. But with voicemeter (donationware) it is possible to fix that: mic as mono -> voicemeter output]

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

Statistics
31949 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 474 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 475 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.