Topic Summary: Buying new MacBook Pro and Software
Created On: 11/18/2020 09:40 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Keyword
 11/18/2020 09:40 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
CTG

I am going to purchase a new Macbook Pro.  I currently run Dragon 15 Professional with an Olympus Digital Recorder.  Does anyone have a recommendation on the preferred Macbook Pro, Windows system, Parallels vs. Boot Camp, or any other advice?  

I am updating the machine and software.  Any recommendations are much appreciated.

Thanks, Curt

11/19/2020 01:40 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Mav
Top-Tier Member

My recommendation is:

Don't.

As you probably know, the only way to run Dragon on a Mac is via Parallels or Bootcamp and both solutions absolutely rely on an Intel x86 processor architecture.

Since Apple has cancelled their contracts with Intel and is using their own, ARM-based processors in new machines, neither Parallels not Bootcamp will be able to virtualize a Windows system required for Dragon to work.

So unless Nuance decides to bring Dragon Dictate for Mac up to par with the Windows version (which won't happen) or anyone comes up with a practical and fast way to emulate an x86 processor on an ARM mac, there is no (good) Dragon for mac users, sorry.

I remember seeing another thread about Dragon on Mac with additional information a while ago, you should be able to find it by searching the forums.

Regards,

mav

11/19/2020 09:14 AM

Author Icon
CTG

mav -

Thank you very much for your reply. I don't know much about the technical specs so that's why I'm seeking advice. I will also search the forums too. Are you speaking about the new M1 chip? I was thinking of buying the current Macbook Pro that has the below specs, using Parallels, Windows 10, and running Dragon 15 Professional with a digital recorder.

2.3GHz 8-Core Processor
1TB Storage
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M
2.3GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor
Turbo Boost up to 4.8GHz
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 4GB of GDDR6 memory
16GB of 2666MHz DDR4 memory
1TB of SSD storageĀ¹
16-inch Retina display with True Tone
Magic Keyboard
Touch Bar and Touch ID
Four Thunderbolt 3 ports

My current Macbook Pro is now a legacy system. I use Boot Camp and Windows 7. I'd like to update because I need a new laptop and noticed Apple is changing to an M1 chip that looks like it won't have a quick way to run Dragon.

Thank you for your information. Curt
 11/19/2020 01:57 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

We agree with Mav. Dragon never quite runs as well on a Mac as it does on a dedicated Windows-based PC and if you're purchasing a Mac for the Mac OS, you won't be able to purchase a newer Mac down the road. If you're purchasing a Mac because of the manufacturing quality, it doesn't come close to the M-Tech quality (231) 547-5562 which builds its notebook computers in the United States; unlike Mac or any other notebook computer manufacturers.

-------------------------

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

11/20/2020 02:59 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Mav
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: CTG [...] 2.3GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor [...]

That's the key information.

As long as the Macbook still has an Intel processor, you'll be able to run Windows on Parallels and thus Dragon.

I don't know how quickly Apple will stop offering machines with Intel processors, but I think it won't take too long. If you still manage to get such a machine and really do need MacOS for your work, then grab it now while you still can.

As Lunis said, if you only want a MacBook as an overpriced platform to run Windows on you can just as well start looking for an alternative right now.

Regards,

mav

Statistics
31947 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 356 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 358 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.